Tank Redux!!!!

Guest goblinshark

Guest goblinshark

Well, i started off about a year not really knowing much about starting a reef tank or the best methods for various components of the hobby.  I started a 46g reef with a red sea prizm skimmer, some crappy power filter, a big nasty powerhead and 2x96w PC light.  Now, after being fully submersed in the hobby I find myself striving to replace most components.  The main thing i really would like to do is set up a SUMP!  Im not sure how to go about doing this on an existing tank, but i gotta do some research.  I really want to get the sump so i can get a better skimmer (prizms are crap)and move my heater into it, then i can take out the powerheads and use the sump pump to create water cirulation.  I am also upgrading the lights, i recently got a 250w HQI mini-pendent MH from Tony (thaanks)  and i have a certificate for any ballast from Icecap!  So, im hoping to transfer to the 250w pendant, however i dont know the best way to go about doing it, because i want a lid on the tank, so my wrasse dont jump out!  Im not sure if i should build a hood or just hand thelight over the tank, i alos want to put and actinic PC over the tank.  If anybody could give me some pointers on the lighting setup and the su,p setup that would be great!  

PS: after im done ill have a lotta stuff for sale   tng

Hey Ben,

Sorry you got bit by the upgrade bug, I hear it's fatal, Ain't it great!  :D

Anyways, go to the gallery and check out my drawing for my 20g sump that I'm building.

I might actually be playing with it tonight in Falls Church if you want to stop in. I'm also going to be building a new hood and stand soon as well, which should cover both of your needs. LMK? Cell 703-899-6209

Howard

Hey Ben

Happy Holidays.  I just went through what you are experiencing and is not that difficult.   I have a 125G and a 55G long on stands.  The stands will limit the size of sump you can put in since the tank is already set up.  I used a 10G (the only tank that fits under my stand) glass tank for my 55G bought at Petco for $9, some acrylic and aquarium glue from Lowe’s and a overflow someone at WAMAS gave me.  Total upgrade? = $30 and I got a sump for my 55G.  I moved the Ramora skimmer and heater to my sump, also converted half of the sump into a refuge.  It is very simple to do and does not need to be fancy.  You are more than welcome to come and see it.  I am in Herndon, VA near the Dulles airport.

Jacob

Guest goblinshark

I gotta a question concerning the sump:

How do i go about making an overflow without drilling into my tank?  Could i just run an attached hose or can i modify a powerfilter, or another way.  Input appreciated.

Also, what size sump is appropriate for a 46gallon aquarium?  I have a 10gal. lying around.

Guest tgallo

get yourself a verflow kit,it will allow you to surface skim the top layer of your tank water and also transport water down to a sump, were you can house a skimmer , heater etc etc.

get a 20 gallon tank and use it as a sump, with a mag9 for return back to your tank, i will be glad to help you set it up, dont be shy, i love this stuff.CS90-2.jpg

Guest goblinshark

Thanks Tony!

I have a Mag7 pump, will that work as well?  i was looking at those overflow boxes online, from what I see the CPR ones are the best, but which do i get?  Should i do it to match the gph rating of the pump or tank size?  I'd be happy to get your help when i finally get all the stuff, still working on getting the ballast for the light, tho.

Ben- I used the larger of the single hole overflows on my 30 gallon tank and it worked fine.  there is an inexpensive pump to put on the CPRs to keep an air block from forming (one of the draw backs to the "square" design of these.  to be honest, I'd use one the the normal U-tube if I were to do it again- they are less prone to this airlock problem, and typically cheaper.  Post some requests around and hunt e-bay.  prices for these things new are rediculous!  I would think the mag 7 would be a fine pump for that size tank.  you will still want a maxijet or 2 in the tank though.

that all said, if you are feeling adventurous and tony is willing to let you use his table saw for an hour (less actually- more like 20 minutes tops), I have scrap acrylic, weldon 60, and a bulkhead I can give you.  You can pick up a u-tube inexpensively.  I'm sure you can find some DIY designs for making and holding the 2 boxes.  

as far as lighting, it sounds like the fixture is for a double ended bulb.  You can mount these in a canopy, it's not to difficult.  not sure what you have around the house for tools, but Tony has a real nice table saw that you could but the pieces in no time on for the canopy.  You could then also mount in your PCs as actinics.  is the ballast for this remote?  Or are you going to pickup a new retrofit?  55W bulbs or even 28W would be fine for the actinics.  Other option is to pickup a VHO retro from hellolights and have 24" or 36" bulbs.  I switched my PCs over to one of these setups for about $85 including the bulbs (more than half the cost).  If you have a remote ballast on your PCs you can chop that up to run the lights into the new canopy.  Might need some new endcaps, but they are not expensive.  You are going to want fans as well- with a sump you can possibly blow a table top fan on it and it will do far more than a couple 4" fans in the canopy- though at least one of these won't hurt either.  

In all this will be both a good electrical and plumbing lesson for you that you will use time and again.