Rock Making Party

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4
Is anyone interested in trying this whole rock party again?

Guest mikesroth
We might be interested, depends on when and what we'd need to bring.  Might just drop by to see how it's done.  I'd still have to figure out how I'd cure it. :)

I think I have all the rock I need right now, but I have 80 pounds of cement and 50 pounds of crushed oyster shell to donate to the cause.

Chris

Guys, I'll try to stop in for your party, See my pictures link for photo's of my DIY LR!

REMEMBER:

#ONE: 5 parts Aragonite/Crushed Corals/etc/etc to 1 PART Portland Cement in your mixing container

#TWO: Add water slowly to get the mix right, this will be where it will be wet, but not soupy!

#THREE: Take mold tub or container and add sand to IT, not to mix Mike :)

Take a little bit of water to sand to make moist enough so that when you hand form your molds to add Concrete/Aragonite mix to that the walls won't keep falling in.

#FOUR: Add mix to mold slowly, remember depending on how your working it, you are usually starting from the top and working to the bottom in an upside down mold.

#FIVE: Use extra moist sand to add as you go to form holes, cuts, tunnels, etc in your finished product. I recommend finished product with no more than 3 legs.

#SIX: Let dry minimum of 3 days BEFORE touching and/or removing from mold, very fragile at this time.

#SEVEN: Take to outside by your hose faucet and rinse off sand showing your beautiful finished product with caves, holes, tunnels, cuts and bumps.

#EIGHT: now cure for at least 2-3 months, checking PH after 2. When curing water has the same PH as new water after 1 day in tub, it's cured.

Howard

BTW, one 80# bag of Portland concrete will last you forever with this formula.

Not sure, the curing process is the leaching out of phosphates in the concrete mix itself. The more you turn over water the better. When I was curing mine, I had them in a 5g bucket and every couple of days would just dump out the water and let them over flow for a few moments, let sit for a couple days and repeat.

I've heard of some folks putting rocks in a near by creek, but could end of with some unexpected visitors, but I suppose the saltwater would kill them later in a dip.

Howard

Guest clownfish4
A guy over at RC said that he put his in his toilet tank and cured them in 3 weeks.