Custom light stand

Amuze

I am thinking of building a custom light stand for my tank. This would need to support a 5ft light fixture, but I don't want it to be bulky or made of PVC or wood. Anyone else ever make one or ever planned to? Looking for ideas/design as to what materials I could use for this. Are there metal poles/brackets at home depot for a project like this? I didn't see anything usable for a clean design when I looked there.

zero edge light stand

Edited by audible

Get 2 pieces of 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick by 8' long steel and have them bent or bend them yourself into an "L" shape 2' from the ends. Assuming your tank and stand are flat on the back, you can bolt these braces to the back of the stand and hang your lights from them.

Yeah, that's something along of the lines of what I was thinking about doing. It just has to be clean looking.

I am thinking of building a custom light stand for my tank. This would need to support a 5ft light fixture, but I don't want it to be bulky or made of PVC or wood. Anyone else ever make one or ever planned to? Looking for ideas/design as to what materials I could use for this. Are there metal poles/brackets at home depot for a project like this? I didn't see anything usable for a clean design when I looked there.

zero edge light stand

I've seen people use copper pipe and then paint it black. You could look under "welding" in your local yellow pages and find someone to make it out of bar they have laying around for pretty cheap. I've also seen people use parts from sleek looking furniture shelving. You can buy lengths of aluminum angle rod and mounting hardware online from industrial supply places as well.