250 W DE bulb to borrow

Stu

I recently traded for a light fixture that takes a 250W double ended hqi. I'm basically going to be storing it away until I get a bigger tank running in the future. My problem is the ballast hums extremely loudly when I turn the fixture on. This is without a bulb in, however, and I'm not sure if it will go away once it is sending power to a bulb. The person who I got it from said this never happened with a bulb in. Does anyone have a 250 hqi that I could borrow for 10 minutes to see if this is the problem? I'm in the Courthouse/Rosslyn area. Thanks.

-Stu

I recently traded for a light fixture that takes a 250W double ended hqi. I'm basically going to be storing it away until I get a bigger tank running in the future. My problem is the ballast hums extremely loudly when I turn the fixture on. This is without a bulb in, however, and I'm not sure if it will go away once it is sending power to a bulb. The person who I got it from said this never happened with a bulb in. Does anyone have a 250 hqi that I could borrow for 10 minutes to see if this is the problem? I'm in the Courthouse/Rosslyn area. Thanks.

-Stu

Stu, I have one you could borrow but I'm in Ashburn. If you can't find one closer, let me know. I also work in Herndon which is just a bit closer if that's more convenient. (BTW, it's an old bulb that you could have - so no return would be necessary.)

Edited by Origami2547

It's almost certainly b/c there is no bulb firing with the ballast. See my post here:

Ballast with no bulb

Basically, I was running one ballast with bulb and another without for a week, and the one without a bulb made a humming noise. I would definitely test it with a bulb, regardless.

Cheers

Mike