Tank Temperature

flowerseller

I have been keeping close attention to the daily tank temperature and wondered what is believed to be an acceptible tempterature range.

I used to keep it at about 78 with a chiller. (12+ year old aquanetics that is now done)

"What range (lights on/lights off) do you keep yours at?"

How much does it fluctuate winter/summer?

I keep SPS, LPS, and soft.

I am posting this on CMAS also if you'd like to see.

Thanks,

Chip

Guest reeffoto
Sent you a pm about the tank tours.  My tank has been running about 81.  In the winter I was having a problem with temp fluctuation so I out a oil radiator heater near the sump and that seemed to take care of the problem.

Guest cjm033
i keep my tank at 77 night and day same temp. i keep lps,sps, and softies

I keep my 180 78-80 in the winter and 80-83 in the summer (chiller).  My multi system runs 79-81 winter and 81-85 summer (no chiller).   When I see 84-85 I kill the halides, as 86 is as close to the edge as I want to get!

I'm hoping on getting my chiller outside and seriously thinking about venting the hood outside, as 3x400W + VHO's seriously impact the temp of the entire house.

Guest tgallo
79 to 81 here , chiller kicks on at 81 then back down to 79.

78-80 controlled by Medusa dual stage controller running the chiller and heater, though I am not sure the heater has ever had to come on.

I call it a good day if I can stay at 82 - I don't ever get much lower than that.  Actually, just after the heat wave last week, I kept the fans going all night (they usually come on with the lights) and I hit 80 - I felt like throwing a party and started dancing around and celebrating - the girlfriend just rolled her eyes and looked at me like I was nuts...

I posted this in the another thread, but I'll ask here too.  Do you guys unplug your heaters in the summer?  What is the lowest temp the water will reach using fans only - that is, holding all other variables constant (I know, hard to do...).  If it depends on tank volume, let's assume 75 gallons... (my size...   :;): )

During the winter & spring so far the range is 78-80.  Couple of peaks up to 82 like during the heatwave last week but the house AC is on now so that shouldn't happen anymore.  My tank hasn't been thru a summer yet, so we will see what happens.