Plastic Supplier

BeltwayBandit

Hello all,

I am new to reefkeeping, well actually I haven't started yet, I am designing a setup now and slowly purchasing/putting it all together.  I am building my sump right now and found this supplier for acrylic.

Acme Plastics 5655 General Washington D

Alexandria, VA 22312

Phone: (703)642-3030

Has anyone ever used them before?  They quoted me $135 for a 4' X8' 1/4" sheet.  They will cut for free (up to about 5 cuts the guy said).

I was quoted $94 for the same plastic on US Plastics but that did not include shipping.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there somewhere locally that I can buy weld-on.

BB

You should check the plastic shops for scrap.  Much cheaper, and you can probably find it a bit thicker as well.  A couple of us have weldon, there is a place in MD that sells it.  Weldon company can be e-mailed directly to find a local supplier.  Else, We can probably let you use the stuff we have.  If you have a table saw to cut it, it would definately be cheaper to mail order it in this case.  Look for scrap first though.  What part of the area are you in?  See thread on the building party.  We are still trying to set a date/place, but I want to make a sump as well.  Welcome!

Michael

Update.  I bought the sheet.  The cutter was gone for the day so they knocked $15 off the price.  Total was $125 w/tax, and he threw in some jigsaw blades for free.  (I'm going to use them for some of the detail work.  

I was originally planning on going to the meeting tomorrow, but the Caps play at 3, so I'm sorta on the fence about the meeting right now.

BB

:D

Craig, noticed that your profile has you in NOVA. I am not far from TRT and have a 10" radial arm saw that you can use for the big cuts. Being semi retired it would be easy to arrange a mutully convenient time. Also, if you need a template I have a large one (from a 180) currently not being used that you could check out.

good luck,

eztimes

djayre@attglobal.net