wiring up fans

michaelg

can someone give a write up for wiring fans. I saw computer fans for sale on e-bay real cheap, but they are wired for putting on the power supply of the computer.   I read some stuff about an AC/DC convertor or some such as an additional part needed and parts obtainable from radio shack.  Experiences with quiet fans also appreciated.  Pics would be real helpful as well :)

Guest snapper

Michael, not really answering your question, but I've always used the 120V computer fans.  That way you don't have to step them down with a transformer.  You can get the fans from any computer store, I think, and RS.

I bought the power cords from HD, spliced fan and cord together and, viola!!!

For the sump, you may want to get the thermostatic fans from IceCap, found at Marine Depot.

Actually- I picked up a 4" Icecap for the hood (sound not sheltered)- and the sump one I want to run 24/7 most likely anyways.

How many wires are on the computer fans?  Do they matter?  I seem to recal there are 3 wires....

The fans I am running are from computers and have only two wires coming from them.  If they have three wires they are likely dual speed fans.  I will send you a PM shortly.

Most fans are 2 wire which can be wired to the two main pins on a 110 volt plug. If it is a 3 wire fan the 3rd wire is green and that goes to the ground pin (that is the center pin that is u shaped that is not shaped like the other two).

I don't think you need a thermostat on the hood fans just put them on the same timer as the lights.

Note:make sure that your fan is blowing air into the hood as this keeps the hot salty air out of the fan. Make sure that the hood has a way for air to escape from the upper areas, as that keeps heat from building up inside the hood.

On the sump I run a fan 24/7 in the summer and I just shut it off in the winter

That is a 2 speed fan white and red are the two hot connections for the two speed and black is the ground. That is a 5v dc fan. They really dont have the punch to cool a hood. Whisper fans that are 110v and dont require a power supply, are much better and are at most electrical suppliers. go with a 4 in and try to blow as close to the lights as possible. They will last and they are cheaper than a computer fan and the power supply you need to run it.

Nathan

OK my icecap fan came last night.  I want to use this one to cool the main tank with the 400W bulb.  I take it the temp probe should be placed near the water line (not in water though).  Should I just cut a hole to fit?  not sure how to get this to stay!  A hole smaller and put the finger guard on the outside and long screws through the wood of the canopy?  The canopy is plywood, and not too think...  After I hook this one up and the other "cheaper" ones, I will do a write up comparing them for sound, air volume, etc.

I've got an icecap fan.  You can attach the wire with a wire clip and a short screw or a big staple.  I wired the temp probe to the side of my canopy about 8" from the lights and 3-4" above the water line.  If you put it too close to the lights, it'll be on high all the time.  I love it.  It's really quiet and seems to cool my hood really well.  I've got one 4" in my hood with 2 250w MH's and 4 110w VHO's.  I get some temp swings, but nothing more than 4-5 degrees during the day.  If I had it to do over again, I'd put two fans in.  I screwed up by centering the one I got.  I guess I could put one on the other end pulling air out instead of an empty grate.  I'll add that to the list of things I want to or would do the next time!  I need another 3 ring binder to fit it all now.