Berghia Nudibranch

dabgood21

Does anyone int he DC area (preferably NOVA) have some Berghia Nudibranches that you are done with?

I know after they have cleaned up a reef from aptasia they will die due to no more food available. I was hoping to find someone that could pass them on to me. I'd hate to spend $60+ just to have them die off. If I do have to buy them, would anyone want to share them? I've heard that passing them around from reef to reef is the best thing to do to preserve their lives.

Does anyone int he DC area (preferably NOVA) have some Berghia Nudibranches that you are done with?

I know after they have cleaned up a reef from aptasia they will die due to no more food available. I was hoping to find someone that could pass them on to me. I'd hate to spend $60+ just to have them die off. If I do have to buy them, would anyone want to share them? I've heard that passing them around from reef to reef is the best thing to do to preserve their lives.

Phil (Grav) was going to try to 'keep' some of them alive for customer tanks.

I have had most outstanding luck with my copper-banded butterflyfish. I kill the big ones, and he eats the little ones. Now, after about 3 months, I have stopped killing the big ones because there are only a few aiptaisia left, and I want my CBB to be able to grab a snack once in a while. He has started partaking in the nightly shrimp-fest as the number of aiptaisia has dwindled.

bob

i have been looking into keeping them on a long term basis as well via an aiptasia farm in my qt. i am just saving up the money now. when did you plan to get yours and how many are you getting? let me know what size you are getting.

I have been considering the same thing and might be interested in a "co-op" purchase, but not sure how details would work (what if they die in my tank before they can get to you, etc...)

I 'm only looking for about 3-4 of them, adult size so they are ready to lay eggs. I have a 40 gallon breeder so that's all I should need. I can't use a CB Butterfly, I'm maxed out on the number of fish I want in my tank. I'd like to get them as soon as possible. If someone wants to share cost I can do that.

Regarding if they die in your tank before I get them, I guess you would have to take the hit and pay for them yourself. It wouldn't make sense for me to pay for something I'll never get not knowing why they died (water parameters, handling, etc.... If they do survive and get passed on, I'd pay half of original cost.

They are very delicate and need to be handles with a pipette to avoid damaging them. I've seen a few places online to buy them but sometimes there's a waiting period (one site was 8 weeks, crazy!). On average they were going for about $15 each.

Let me know if anyone's willing to try a split in cost. I guess it just depends on who wants to take the risk of using them first.

*One big problem with sharing the same Berghias is that they can take up to 8 months to a year for them to eat all the aiptasia in your tank and I can't wait that long. I was hoping to find someone that already had them working in their reef and would be done with them soon.