DIY Ca reactor

Guest snapper

Guest snapper
anybody got a good link where you can buy a CO2 regulator and flowmeter either locally or online?

Get the needle valve from Marine depot.  I have an extra, but needs a hose barb for it.  Not sure about the best place for a regulator, as mine came from a lab surplus.

Oh Yeah- as I mentioned on Sunday- Get a catalog from www.usplastics.com and I think we ordered the pipe from aquatic-ecosystems (they let you buy it by the foot).

Have them send a printed one, it is a lot easier to look through, then you can place your order online.  Andy from Myreefcreations makes flanged fittings that you can use for the top of the reactor that are pretty beefy..  I made some by using circular disks found at US plastics.  I will get pics up soon.  Been too busy to track them down- sorrry for the delay.  

Michael

Guest snapper

Mchael, thanks, ordered everything online based on a lot of DIY plans.  Hope it all works out.  Got the flowmeter from Granger for $31.00 and the CO2 regulator from Harbor Freight for $30.00 --not too bad.

I'm not going to go the needle valve/bubble counter route, based on Sanjay's advice.

I've got the wife convinced I'm saving money this way, but I'm not too sure of that..... :p

Is there a good local place to buy the CO2 tank?  I guess any welding supply company should do?

Thanks again for the reply.  After I get things together, I'll need some advice on "tuning" my creation.

Eric

Actually I think there is a beverage place over on your side that people go to- or some beer house or something (I seem to recall kegs being associated with calcium reactors).  I have been using Robert's oxygen.

Michael

F&M in hyattsville has 10lb tanks for $75 al/$70 steel or 5lb tanks for $55 al/$50 steel.  301-277-6655

Just some numbers to help you while pricing.  Check out Ebay and RC too.

Guest va_reefman

Snapper,

While you are at it, building your cal-reactor, is it possible if you can build me a second chambe for my reactor?  I found a plan that is really simple to do but you know me...I am not good at DYI stuff.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Guest snapper

John,

I'll give it a shot.  I don't have any tools that can make the flanged top like your reactor.  As long as you weren't to bent on looks, we can make it happen.

Have you ordered/bought the parts yet?

Eric

Snapper- what I did to make the flanged top was to take 2 circular disks from US plastic (6" diameter), tape them together real well, then drill through using a drill press (wood underneath to prevent shipping).  A gasket can be make with a rubber sheet that is sold at home depot for ~ $2, and you can get nylon screws with wing nuts at USP as well.  I put 8 holes in mine.   One of the circles needs a big hole cut in it, and this will attach to the tube of the chamber.  As the second chamber is not under pressure, you can use a square of acrylic as the base if you want.

Also, I hvae a bunch of the solvent/glue if you are working with acrylic.

Guest snapper
I've seen many bars/restaurants that use 20 lb CO2 cylinders for their soft drinks.  Is this the same type bottle used for the Ca reactor?