Metal Halide Repair

Guest rpfsys

Guest rpfsys
anybody know where I can take a dual metal halide pendant to get checked out and repaired?

Guest rpfsys
Thanks for the reply.  The ballast supports two 175 watt pendants.  It fires up both pendants, but one pendant eventually starts strobing and ultimately goes out.  I posted this problem out on the Reef Central forum, and people told me it couldn't be the bulb (?).  What I'd like to do is to find someone who knows what they're doing to take a look at it.

Guest tgallo
your best bet is to replace the ballast, it doesen't pay to have it checked out, you'll be charged for a service call and parts service call from a electrican is $ 65.00 to 90.00 dollars plus material. i could help you replace the ballast and wire it. give me a call 240 832 1364 im tony.

As an electrician I find 9 out of 10 times when you have a blinker it is the bulb.  Does it do the same thing if you swap your bulbs?  How old are the bulbs?

tgallo is right have him or myself change your ballast and save youself some money.  Check the profiles and see who lives close to you.  I even have an extra new ballast in my shed.

I think it is probably the lamp as well.  HID ballast problems generally don't cause a flicker.  That's usually reserved for FL lamps/ballasts.

It is very unlikely that the ballast can be fixed, especially if the problem happens after the lamps are ignited.  

First try switching the lamps.  If the problem is still on the lamp pendant, it's probably a ballast problem.  If the problem moves with the lamp, it is a lamp probelm.

A dual MH ballast should run you about $60-$70 dollars.

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rpfsys

Thank you tgallo and prevyet for offering to help.  I have sent an e-mail to prevyet.  He lives in the next town over from me.

I did change the bulb once, and it did fine for a couple of weeks, then started that flickering problem again.

Roy