Melting Sand Sifting Star

cowrie

We have a sand sifting sea star about 2-1/2" diameter which has three remaining arms, one of which is dissolving like the other two already did.  At first we thought it was trauma from one of the other tank inhabitants when it lost the tip of the first arm but now it is obviously progressing, and we fear the worst is yet to come.....

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop the spread?  Can we dip it in kerosene or insecticide to stop this creeping crud?  Just kidding.  We were wondering if Iodine or fresh water (RO or DI) or a dip in penicillin or tetracycline or erythromycin might work.  Hope someone can help!

Guest Kimo

Sorry to say it sounds like osmotic shock - How long did you acclimate?  If it looks like the arms are just dissolving/falling apart, then that's probably what it is.  

Stars are very sensitive to rapid changes in salinity.  The best way, IMO, to acclimate them is with a drip.  I just set the bag in my sump and drip into it from the tank with airline tubing tied in a knot.  It's worked for me.

Good luck.

Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks for the response.  We have had the star for six months or so, so don't really think that it is due to acclimation.  It has been slowly going on for about two months.  Any other ideas?

Guest Kimo

It it getting enough to eat?  How big is your tank?

Oh and how is the frag doing?

Jamie

Jamie,

It is a 75 gallon established reef tank with 7 fish and lots of live rock.  I assume it is getting enough to eat from the sand since we feed fish and corals rather heavily (per Bourneman's suggestion)!

The frag is beautiful!  We feed it daphnia, DT's black powder, frozen spirulina enhanced brine shrimp and mashed formula one and two and Eric's suggested shrimp/scallop with Zoecon mixture.  Looking forward to trying those pearls!