New lighting for me?

DaveS

I've been considering an upgrade to my lights and with the Ice Cap purchase opportunity, I think this would be the right time to do it if ever. I currently have an Aquamedic Ocean light HQI+T5 combo. It's got 3x250W MH and 4x38W T5 setup.

http://www.aqua-medic.com/oceanlight_T5_HQI_combo.shtml

It's nice and I'm growing SPS fairly well. I'm considering going with 20k Radium bulbs for better coral colors. In doing this, I'm also thinking about going to 400W MH fixtures to keep the PAR levels up. My tank is 30" tall. What do you guys think, is it worth it? Or should I just replace the current bulbs and live with the reduction in PAR?

If I upgrade, I'll probably just get 3 of the IceCap ballasts. Any suggestions on reflectors, Lumenarc 3s? Should I go with Mogul or HQI fixtures?

Anyone interested in buying my old fixture to make this decision easier for me? :)

Go with 400watt ballasts, 20K Radiums, and Lumenbrightreflectors. The Lumenbrights allow you to put the reflectors up higher, so there is less of a heat transfer. According to what I've read, the LBs are designed to put 15" or higher over your tank, without a sacrifice in PAR. If height is an issue, then just go with Lumenarcs. I'd go with either or those reflectors over an HQI or mogul pendant.

I would do lumans 3's and mogul base just for the fact that there are more options for bulbs.

Edited by m3fan8ic