small-med tang & all small fish

treesprite

I just have these small fish, in a 65g/sys ~95g:

1 cherub (pygmy) angel

2 firefish

2 pajama cardinals

1 percula (new, in QT)

1 yel. clown goby (they barely count as fish)

1 gramma

My plan with the old tang, which I got at ~2" and gave up at ~4", was to let it get to yay-big then re-place with another little one. I had decided not to get a new one, but now that I don't have one there is no one keeping algae from harrassing my liverock.

I am thinking to keep it until 5" this time since that monster-sized tomato clown is no longer in the tank and this would be my last fish... I really don't want any fish that big, but I am hoping to not have to switch out in less than a year.

Any feedback on types of fish and on size?

Edited by treesprite

Have you thought of a Hippo Tang? I have had one for about a year great fish was about the size of a silver dollar when I got it and now not much bigger than my cell phone. And I have a Samsung 8300 so it's great in size but not huge.

Have you thought of a Hippo Tang? I have had one for about a year great fish was about the size of a silver dollar when I got it and now not much bigger than my cell phone. And I have a Samsung 8300 so it's great in size but not huge.

I thought about about it, but they are harder to keep than yellows. Sounds like they grow a lot slower than the yellows though.

I thought about about it, but they are harder to keep than yellows. Sounds like they grow a lot slower than the yellows though.

Definitely not my experience. Hippos get big, and even when small seem to really want a lot of swimming room.

In my opinion, a yellow tang can be successfully kept in a 65g tank as long as it's the only tang. I had a 4"+ yellow when I had my 65g tank and it was happy as can be.

I agree with this. I know it's completely subjective and probably anthropomorphic, but Yellows just seem "happier" in a smaller space than other tangs.

Another good choice would be a Tomini Tang, since they stay fairly small.

Regarding tang type... did I not mention that sunshine yellow is my favorite color? That's why I like yellows - that and the shape of their bodies being more disc-shaped.