Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit

m3fan8ic

Mine is making some weird noise as soon as I put it in the tank.. this noise is annoying and pretty noticeable. I've even switched to another MJ1200 to eliminate the MJ being defective and same noise..is there a fix for it or the kit I got is defective? Does anyone else have this issue?

Mine made noise for about two weeks, then it stopped.

Still finding small pieces of plastic scattered through out my basement floor.

:biggrin:

Just kidding BTW. It did stop after about two weeks.

:drink:

it's not clicking more like humming which stays for like 10-15seconds and then goes away for like minute or two then comes back again..

I have one and it doesnt make any noise. Just makes a lot of turbulance. Let me know if you need a new one :wig:

I just contacted Marine Depot and they ask me to reseat the impeller and make sure it's inside the socket/hole right and see what happens if not they are willing to exchange for another one if it's defective.

I had one for three days. During the three days it made a terrible humming noise. I tried two different 1200s and they both did it. Then on the third day the plastic piece that keeps the prop from spinning backwards broke while I was at work. When I came home I found a sand storm with two chopped up dead damsels that got sucked in.

I also have an EcoMod on my MJ600 and it has not given me any problems.

Stick the SF mod into the koralia 4 and get ready for some really nice flow. :)

would this work with K3? or only for k4? is it a simple mod or any cutting/shaving required?

These things definitely require a high level of tinkering... Usually, they start out noisy but then quiet down after a few weeks use. Reseating the impeller DOES help in some cases. Almost, make sure no snail is parked beside it, because that'll cause a large amount of rattling.

There is a chance it blows out impeller "seat". Highly likely if you are using a wavemaker. I used some epoxy to fix it in place.

Not a perfect technology, but for the price and the minor efforts to get them to work, well worth it IMHO.

Jon

The k3 will work, but only with the smaller prop, it'll give it some nice flow, but not as much as the K4 with the larger prop. One thing is, you'll have to use the magnet that the SF kit came with and take out the original prop/magnet that came with the K4. Also, you CANNOT have this on a wavemaker because you need to start the impeller in the reverse direction ( you'll know when it's going the wrong way. :)).

Almost, make sure no snail is parked beside it, because that'll cause a large amount of rattling.

Found this out last weekend. At first, I thought something electrical was getting water on it and it was sparking. :blush:

I had four in my display before realizing they were extremely unreliable. The mod blew the back impeller seats out and destroyed the maxi-jets. The other two started making clicking noises and after 1 month finally stopped. I called Marc at Algae-Free and he was gracious enough to send some replacement impellers, but I had already lost two maxi-jets.

I now am running two of the replacements he sent me in my sump. I think there is some issue with the washer at the end of the impeller. It gets worn over time and needs to be replaced to create the proper clearance distance for the props.

I agree if you epoxy the maxijet backs to reinforce the impeller seats, it is a very economical Stream substitute. For reliability, I chose to bite the bullet and purchased two 6080s for the display...

Edited by chucelli