Sant Ocean Hall

sen5241b

This is an awesome exhibit but the big tanks they planned did not happen. I'm willing to bet that anyone from WAMAS could learn something more at this exhibit. They have one tank and it looked about 200Gs maybe and I've never seen so many fish in one tank --well over a hundred. (If you really want to see tanks the National Aquarium is a short walk away.)

This is an awesome exhibit but the big tanks they planned did not happen. I'm willing to bet that anyone from WAMAS could learn something more at this exhibit. They have one tank and it looked about 200Gs maybe and I've never seen so many fish in one tank --well over a hundred. (If you really want to see tanks the National Aquarium is a short walk away.)

I was there on Sunday with my son. I took about a dozen pics and a video. Have not uploaded yet but it was a truly beautiful tank. Nothing like a two-month old heavily stocked and nicely aquascaped bowfront reef tank. One huge clam, a goby-shrimp pair, assorted SPS corals, large brittle stars, and a nice assortment of fish. Very busy. The tank is asking for a call from the Tang police.

I was going to post the pics and submit them as my TOTM entry (which if you've seen my 75g algae farm you would know is a joke).

I went to the new hall just after it opened for a staff preview early in the morning. I got there just as it opened for us (well... me...), and I was the only one there for the first hour - it was so peaceful and quiet. So, I took my time to look around the entire exhibit at my leisure. It was certainly a lot to take in...

Overall, I like the layout - prehistoric oceans on the left, showing mass extinctions, evolution and extinctions of major groups of invertebrates, etc. Wasn't megaladon impressive? I don't think I would have gotten in the water with that guy looming around...

I think they have done a nice job - it's a lot of information, but I like the hand print signs on various locations, showing human impact. Science On A Sphere ROCKS! We are supposed to get one for Amazonia here. Take time to watch the entire loop - you will learn a lot about how the oceans' conveyor belt of currents works to to determine the Earth's climate, temperature, etc. and why the oceans are a global ecosystem.

The tank - yes, it is nice, very colorful, etc. I took the tour behind the scenes, and they have some impressive filtration, frag tanks, etc. Finally, toward the end of my stay people started showing up. I took several minuts to stand back and watch people's reaction - the ooo's and ahhh's... What I noticed is that eyes are drawn to "the lure of the lights." Aren't we all? But, people watch the tank so much that they don't take time to see the graphics along the side of the tank that talk about coral reef decline and its causes - a VERY important take-home message that I believe a lot of people miss.

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

• 2 weeks later...
I went to the new hall just after it opened for a staff preview early in the morning. I got there just as it opened for us (well... me...), and I was the only one there for the first hour - it was so peaceful and quiet. So, I took my time to look around the entire exhibit at my leisure. It was certainly a lot to take in...

Overall, I like the layout - prehistoric oceans on the left, showing mass extinctions, evolution and extinctions of major groups of invertebrates, etc. Wasn't megaladon impressive? I don't think I would have gotten in the water with that guy looming around...

I think they have done a nice job - it's a lot of information, but I like the hand print signs on various locations, showing human impact. Science On A Sphere ROCKS! We are supposed to get one for Amazonia here. Take time to watch the entire loop - you will learn a lot about how the oceans' conveyor belt of currents works to to determine the Earth's climate, temperature, etc. and why the oceans are a global ecosystem.

The tank - yes, it is nice, very colorful, etc. I took the tour behind the scenes, and they have some impressive filtration, frag tanks, etc. Finally, toward the end of my stay people started showing up. I took several minuts to stand back and watch people's reaction - the ooo's and ahhh's... What I noticed is that eyes are drawn to "the lure of the lights." Aren't we all? But, people watch the tank so much that they don't take time to see the graphics along the side of the tank that talk about coral reef decline and its causes - a VERY important take-home message that I believe a lot of people miss.

Mike

I've seen big tanks like this before that were setup by some big commercial outfit. They seem to have little LR, no skimmer, no fuge but lots of mechanical filtration. What kind of filtration do they use to keep the water clean enough for one fish per gallon? Is it all great gph pushed thru carbon? ??