Lighting Upgrade - 6 bulb T5 to 4 blub T5 + MH?

sheac12

I have decided that I am going to change my lighting setup to be more in line with moving to the 180 next year. With that said I currently have 6 T5s over my 90, 2 on my ICECAP 660, 4 in a Current USA setup. The bulbs are 3 10ks and 3 420/460.

What I am thinking about doing is adding two more T5s on the ICECAP and either a 175W or 250W MH. The goal of the MH is for the Sparkle effect, something that is missing with T5s alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for light bulbs, and is this too much light for the tank? I should add that when I move to the 180, I want to the same idea, 4 t5 36" + MH on each 3ft length.

As for corals, right now I have some ZOAs, frog spawn(Euphyllia paradivisa), and a couple of hammerheads, at least I think they are, but I would like to add some bubble coarl(Plerogyra sinuosa) and some of the plate/brain corals. Oh and I do have some type of leather.

Thanks

If it was just the 90 gallon tank, I would say that 8 T5s plus a 175W MH is plenty of light. For the upgrade though, I would go with the 250W MHs unless you can find away to try to pack more than 4 T5s into each section.

As long as you are planning a lighting system, you might also want to consider including some VHOs for actinic supplementation. Nothing really makes the florescents "pop" quite like VHOs.

If it was just the 90 gallon tank, I would say that 8 T5s plus a 175W MH is plenty of light. For the upgrade though, I would go with the 250W MHs unless you can find away to try to pack more than 4 T5s into each section.

As long as you are planning a lighting system, you might also want to consider including some VHOs for actinic supplementation. Nothing really makes the florescents "pop" quite like VHOs.

I had thought about using VHOs on the 180, but it is getting harder and harder to find them. I think I am going to try my original plan of 4T5 on the ICECAP 660 with a 250W MH.

What "color" bulb and brand would anyone recommend, 10k or 14k?

Thanks

While I prefer T5 to VHOs, I do agree that 250w lamps will be the better way to go, if for no other reason that there are more options available than 175. I recommend that people pick out which bulb they want, then select a ballast/reflector combo to best showcase/operate that bulb. FWIW I use a 250w radium and don't see myself switching to anything else.

Garrett.