Typhoon III Question

SeanCallan

I'm looking at picking up a Typhoon III today and I noticed it wants me to select the adapter : supply valve, hose connection or faucet adapter.

I have no idea what these are. I need something I can use to tap into the water line under my sink.

Thanks!

Hello,

Here is a description of the three adaptors:

Supply Valve - This is a piercing valve which is placed (normally) underneath a sink and taps into a copper pipe or most other straight surface-type piping (non-braided). It clamps onto the pipe and you turn the valve down to pierce the pipe; then open it back up to get water flowing to your RO.

Faucet Adaptor - This fits most faucets where there is a filter screen that is removable (i.e. the part where the water comes out of a normal sink faucet). This adaptor has a diverter valve that allows you to switch between normal faucet use or sending the water to the RO unit.

Hose adaptor - This fits most garden hose-type connections. Simply screw it on, plug the tubing in, and turn on the water. Most people use this adaptor if they put their unit in the utility room (or where ever they have their washer).

Another adaptor that isn't really a choice (you have to buy it) is the braided hose adaptor. This is used if your piping under the sink is a braided line instead of something solid. The supply valve can pierce braided lines, but then it pulls out the braid and clogs the supply valve. The braided hose adaptor is just screwed onto the supply line (normally a small line of copper pipe with a male thread on the end) and then the braided pipe is hooked onto it as well.

I hope this helps you out. If you want to know anything else, let us know.

Regards,

The Air, Water & Ice staff

Thanks guys! I received my package quickly, much appreciated.

I did have a question, I received 2 supply valves, but I really needed something for my braided tubes. I went to my local Lowes where they claim there is no such part.

Can you point me in the right direction to order one?

You need the fourth adapter mentioned in the AWI post above. It does not pierce the braided hose like the saddle valve does. You have to unscrew the braided hose and insert this adapter between the braided hose and the supply line.

Here is a link to the part you need:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/STVFPT/...aided_Hose.html

You need the fourth adapter mentioned in the AWI post above. It does not pierce the braided hose like the saddle valve does. You have to unscrew the braided hose and insert this adapter between the braided hose and the supply line.

Hey Bob,

How would you recommend hooking into compression lines? I think the same valve would work but I'm dreading the thought of dealing with those connections.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Steve

(edited)

Thanks Bob, I wish I had known which adapter it was before I ordered. Oh well, at least AWI is super fast when it comes to shipping!

Edit: Actually, I'll try to find this piece at a local store. It's going to cost me double to have this tiny valve shipped.

Edited by SeanCallan

• 3 weeks later...

I need the same Adapt-a-Valve, but I need it now. Is there any alternative method for making this connection that doesn't require me to wait a week for AWI to get this part to me? Something I can buy at Home Depot or wherever that will get the job done today? Not only am I itching to get my RO/DI up and running, but I can't afford to spend another $17 just for this little part. Please let me know... Thank you.

Yes, you can purchase parts at Lowes and do something similar. It will most likely be made of brass and I believe the fittings are 3/8". Take a picture of the AWI part with you and I'm sure the plumbing guys can help you mix and match the parts.

Home Depot? Plumbing parts? Hit or miss...

Yes, you can purchase parts at Lowes and do something similar. It will most likely be made of brass and I believe the fittings are 3/8". Take a picture of the AWI part with you and I'm sure the plumbing guys can help you mix and match the parts.

Home Depot? Plumbing parts? Hit or miss...

Yeah, definitely Hit or miss. On my hunt for the part I went to a number of Lowes and Home Depot but none of them carried the part. You might be better off trying to find a local shop that specializes in filtration for the home.

They may not have the exact part, but they will have pieces to make something that provides the same results. If nothing else, get a very short section of copper tubing, a few inches will do, and fittings to go on each end. Insert it between the water supply and the braided hose then use the saddle piercing valve that came with the unit (assuming that is what you originally ordered with the unit).