cracked sump

jamesx2

Howdy all,

i am setting up a 90 gal tank, my plan was to use a 40 gal breeder tank as a sump and put an acrylic divider in the tank to use half as a refugium and the other half as the sump.  well did not go as planned, tank cracked when i filled the one side up.  Does anyone have any experience with getting All Glass Tanks to give a return authorization?  Not sure they would be pleased with my attempt to make a sump/refugium but i figured it was worth a try.  If i do get a new tank any suggestions on improving my design to prevent another crack?  thought about making an acrylic box and placing it into the tank this time.  Does anyone have any experience working with acrylic?  i got the sheet i used from HD but i dont think it is thick enough, also not sure what glue to use.  heard someone mention weld on, but forgot which one to use.

Ok, so i am bumming now.  Was hoping to get the tank cycling this weekend, now not sure when i will get it goin.

Get the tank cycling now with the live rock, and work on the sump in the mean time.  Just throw some powerheads in the tank for circulation and fill it about 2/3 full with salt water.  Else you can use a rubbermaid tub temporarily.  Why do you think the tank cracked?  Nathan put up a real good design of making a refugia sump with a 55 gallon tank- of course you can use a smaller tank, but look at the baffle design.

Michael

Guest cbo

I dont know about getting your return auth.  but I glued an acrylic sheet in a 20L to divide it in half for the same purpose.  I used the GE Silicon 1 clear from HD.  It has no mildew preventative and bonds equally well to glass and plastic.  You can verify on the GE web site.  Anyway, that has worked very well for me.  You need to make sure the tank is well supported on the bottom.  

Question where did your tank crack and why do you think it did?

cbo

i got the sheet i used from HD but i dont think it is thick enough,

Need some thicker acrylic?  :D

I have a scrap sheet 57 1/2"x14 1/2" that is 1/2" thick.  Free!

howdy,

I think prevyet has the correct answer, i needed thicker acrylic, i was using 1/4 in which is the thickest i could find at HD.  The tank cracked right where the acrylic divider was attached.  Prevyet i would gladly take that scrap off your hands if you do not need it, or if you can tell me where you got it so i can by some.  AGA is goin to call the store that i bought the tank from and then let me know if they will replace my tank for me (fingers are crossed).  

michael, only problem with filling my tank up and curing some rock is that i cant get the new sump into the stand without moving it, so i am not wanting to fill the tank till the new sump is back in place :)

cbo, glad that it worked for you.  Good to know that i was not completly off my rocker with this plan.  :p

Привет, спасибо!