Looking to get into photography?

Brian Ward

For those of you that have been thinking about getting into photography or just want a camera that will take better pictures of your tank, the Nikon D40 is an EXCELLENT entry-level dSLR. You can find it as cheap as $400 right now:

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Produ...;SourceID=k3736

It's a great price on a great camera for those of you that have been thinking about it.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know much about cameras. Would you need to purchase another lens to go with that deal in order to take close ups of corals?

The reason I ask, is I have a Olympus Evolt 500, and was recently looking at maybe just getting a macro lens for it.

Which way would you go if you were in my situation?

TIA,

Mark

good question...

Thanks,

Know the answer?

:biggrin:

define "close up"

If your goal is to get macro shots of corals, then buy the macro lens. If you're looking for a step up in technology, go for the camera. But the nikon with the kit lens won't get you much (any?) closer in on the corals than your current camera. You'll find yourself still wanting that macro lens even with the new camera.

This kind of close up, with at least this quality.

gallery_1479_196_75661.jpg

yes, you'll need the macro lens. the 18-55 lens that comes with it is OK as a general purpose lens, but you'll definitely want to get lenses that match specifically what you're trying to do w/ the camera

For those of you that have been thinking about getting into photography or just want a camera that will take better pictures of your tank, the Nikon D40 is an EXCELLENT entry-level dSLR. You can find it as cheap as $400 right now:

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Produ...;SourceID=k3736

It's a great price on a great camera for those of you that have been thinking about it.

Heads up only 6 meg pixels, kinda low if you are going to take full shots and crop in. YOu would absolutly need a macro lens for individual coral pix.

john