Max number of drill holes in a tank

sde219

Putting it out to the DIY crowd.

I'd like to make a tank viewable from all four sides, ideally with no equipment above it(sans pendant lighting) or hanging on the sides. I realize that is it nothing too difficult. However, I'd like to run a closed loop, sump drain, and returns on the tank - I would likely stem the intake portion of the loop, the sump drain, and sump return up from the base to prevent sand intake and in the case of the sump accommodate the drain during a power outage. Anyone have an opinion on if 8 holes in the bottom panel of a tank (probably a 36"x18" footprint is possible or am I asking for trouble? I suppose I could remove the bottom and do a sealed plywood base to do this but that seems like a lot more work than I'm looking for.

If this number of holes is possible - any opinion on the minimum spacing?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Do you plan on drilling this yourself or having the tank custom made and drilled? Glass or acrylic?

If you are having the tank built, I would discuss this with the manufacturer.

Bob points out some lacking crucial details.

Hoping to use a generic glass tank - probably 40g or 58g. I'd do the drilling myself.

The bottoms of most standard off the shelf tanks are going to be tempered.

I would have the tank custom made. The builder could use a thicker bottom plate and would drill the holes for you.

I have 10 holes in my tank..... when the amount of holes increase so does the thickness of the glass...... I wouldn't do 6-8 holes in the bottom of a tank unless it's custom made with 3/4 inch glass..

Putting it out to the DIY crowd.

I'd like to make a tank viewable from all four sides, ideally with no equipment above it(sans pendant lighting) or hanging on the sides. I realize that is it nothing too difficult. However, I'd like to run a closed loop, sump drain, and returns on the tank - I would likely stem the intake portion of the loop, the sump drain, and sump return up from the base to prevent sand intake and in the case of the sump accommodate the drain during a power outage. Anyone have an opinion on if 8 holes in the bottom panel of a tank (probably a 36"x18" footprint is possible or am I asking for trouble? I suppose I could remove the bottom and do a sealed plywood base to do this but that seems like a lot more work than I'm looking for.

If this number of holes is possible - any opinion on the minimum spacing?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Are you going to have an overflow in the center of the tank? Otherwise won't the entire tank drain into the sump when you have a power failure?

The absolute minimum spacing between bulkhead holes will be determined by the size of the bulkhead flanges since they can't overlap.

Jon

You might consider fewer holes, of a larger diameter - an 1.5" pipe moves more than twice as much as a 1", for example.

Or you could use the pipes aesthetically, giving the tank four rounded corners for the returns - make the return pipes pillars holding up the canopy. Paint 'em black, maybe wrap some electroluminescent wire around for that retro-futuristic look? Then you'd only need to drill for the sump & closed loop drains.

You can also brace the bottom of the tank (silicone an extra piece of glass around the holes) but I wouldn't trust it unless you consulted a professional. The cost of making a mistake is just too high.

Paul