MASNA

Lunker

I checked out the MASNA site and I can't say that I'm very impressed. I see that WAMAS is a member but I haven't seen any threads encouraging our membership to join. I just would like to know from those of you who have been around a while is this organization worth joining. :why:

Thanks

I somewhat agree with George. Not really a whole lot for individuals. Some discounts, etc... The club benifits by things like speaker databases, club listings, and vendor relationships. Masna also has a voice with the political types in Washington like the uU.S. coral reef task force. Mostly that is a fight to keep the ornamental trade from getting closed down, which is why they advocate responsible collecting and aquaculture. They are trying to beef up the benefits, but I don't see alot now. They do have a nice scholarship to those going into the field that students can apply towards.

If you have more detailed questions, I can go into more detail. Craig is a paid member. The club is also a member, and I am the club's rep for it. They do have an annual meeting at macna each year, and web based ones throughout the year. Anyone interested in seeing what is going on, you can veiw the minutes online. If they are not published to the public, lmk and I can get.

I took some notes at the meeting last week, I will also try and get up.

Doug,

thanks for some information on MASNA. As a newbie I thought that somehow you would have to be a member to a attend a MACNA conference. This brings up a similar question. Is there any membership for MACNA?

TNX

Doug,

thanks for some information on MASNA. As a newbie I thought that somehow you would have to be a member to a attend a MACNA conference. This brings up a similar question. Is there any membership for MACNA?

TNX

I think the only requirement I know of is stamina to stay up way too late bs'ing with reefers around the country! I find MACNA's a lot of fun. I'll sit down and have a beer with just about anyone! But we also spend a lot of the time "working" the show. I spend a lot of time trying to make speaker and manufacturer contacts so we can have goodies for the raffles at our meetings, or sponsors for the NADC tank etc.

Best deals on registration are early. Now is the time, as they go up to $150 to $160 to $170 a head later. If you do not use, there is a $10 or so charge to change the name later. BTW, just to clarify, any officer that attends does pay out of pocket...

www.macnaxxi.com

I think the only requirement I know of is stamina to stay up way too late bs'ing with reefers around the country! I find MACNA's a lot of fun. I'll sit down and have a beer with just about anyone! But we also spend a lot of the time "working" the show. I spend a lot of time trying to make speaker and manufacturer contacts so we can have goodies for the raffles at our meetings, or sponsors for the NADC tank etc.

Best deals on registration are early. Now is the time, as they go up to $150 to $160 to $170 a head later. If you do not use, there is a $10 or so charge to change the name later. BTW, just to clarify, any officer that attends does pay out of pocket...

www.macnaxxi.com

And it's in AC this year.... reefing and gambling baby!