Another suicidal marine animal story

MisterTang

To add my "me too" to the list of people whose critters just can't bear to go on over the last few days, I found one of my reclusive tiger-banded sea stars stuck to my sure-flo powerhead this morning. After turning off the powerhead and chiseling him off of it, I found that he had stuck one of his legs right in and it made for a rather clean amputation right at the disc. I'm not optimistic about his survival, based on how lethargic he was when I left. This totally shocked me, because I haven't seen one of these stars come completely out of my rockwork in the two months they've been in there!

Geez, what's with our pets this week? Perhaps I should start dosing Wellbutrin :why:

... and to make matters worse, my wife (in an effort to be helpful) hooked up the intake air line for my skimmer to my calcium drip, so my skimmer was out of commission during the incident and is barely running right now.

... and to make matters worse, my wife (in an effort to be helpful) hooked up the intake air line for my skimmer to my calcium drip, so my skimmer was out of commission during the incident and is barely running right now.

why did she do this? man sorry to hear about this atleast it wasn't as bad as some stories I've been hearing lately. Usually I politely ask my wife to not touch anything unless under direction from me (when I'm not at home)... hope the star makes it!

why did she do this? man sorry to hear about this atleast it wasn't as bad as some stories I've been hearing lately. Usually I politely ask my wife to not touch anything unless under direction from me (when I'm not at home)... hope the star makes it!

I had been acclimating a fish earlier, and long story short, I had a length of airline tubing sitting on the table. When she was putting it in my stand, she noticed that the skimmer had a wheel-adjustment valve and the calcium drip had a wheel-adjustment valve. Both were just hanging there. I guess it looked like it needed to be bridged.

Up to this morning, the "no touchy" rule was implicit - but it is now quite explicit.

I had been acclimating a fish earlier, and long story short, I had a length of airline tubing sitting on the table. When she was putting it in my stand, she noticed that the skimmer had a wheel-adjustment valve and the calcium drip had a wheel-adjustment valve. Both were just hanging there. I guess it looked like it needed to be bridged.

Up to this morning, the "no touchy" rule was implicit - but it is now quite explicit.

ahhh that must have been a rough night, again I hope it works out for you.

okay... that's 3 of us... no more fish/livestock suicides...

As for the no touchy rule, I have my wife well trained, she doesn't touch anything without calling me and I guide her through what to do. Granted my setup isn't as sophisticated as most of you, but I prefer her calling me vs trying to anything above rescuing a fish.

Kevin

HEY! Be nice to the wives!

I've made a couple of mistakes helping Jon (cost him a 55 gallon tank and made a couple of extra acro frags), but my assistance always comes from a place of love and support of him and this hobby I'm trying to learn so much about.

Maureen

I would have to agree with Maureen.

2c

Your wives are actually taking an interest that can be developed into a team effort. Squashing that interest will result in this being a loner hobby (and one with a smaller budget)!

There will be errors by spouses as, quite simply, you built the system, now maintain it and have probably invested hundreds (thousands?) of hours in understanding it. How about all the errors we all make, but since it's just us, no one need know! :blush: With two knowledgeable aquarists, errors become explicit - both your errors and your spouses. It makes us better aquarist.

BTW (back to work)

Edited by NRehman

HEY! Be nice to the wives!

Okay, I'll repent. I'm grateful that my wife has taken an interest in the "living" portions of my tank. She knows all the types of coral we have, as well as the other hermits, snails, fish, and other miscellaneous critters in the tank. She knows exactly how much I feed, and who needs special attention in the tank. If a coral falls, she takes the cap off the top of the tank and reaches in there and puts it back. I keep "dip strips" in a little baggie for her in case I'm on vacation and she thinks something is wrong. Her involvement is great, because she keeps me going when I feel like quitting.

The non-living (read: engineering) part is fairly boring to her, so that's how this happened. She's agreed not to fiddle with any cord, cable, tube or plug that isn't labeled, and I don't get yelled at for over-reacting :clap:

As an update, the sea star crawled off back under his rock pile. His severed appendage is 'twitching'... eww.