Anemone death and Clownfish suicide

wdytat

Well today has not been the best day for my ventures in the hobby.

As noted in a WTB thread (WTB: Anemone) earlier today, a fallen rock gave my BTA a bruising that it couldn't recover from, and it was found as a lovely pile of goo today.

Then, this evening one of my true percs decided to commit suicide (maybe he missed the anemone he just found to his liking) by swallowing a piece of an algae wafer - much too big for him. I gave him a while to spit out the piece himself, but he quickly declined. Unfortunately he just passed a few minutes ago. Not much I could do for the little guy. Anyone been through such an experience?

Sucks that I just got him a few weeks ago at the Aquarium Company, so I guess another trip is going to be due soon to pick up another. Hopefully suicidal fish is not common there.

Edited by wdytat

Sorry for the back to back loses :(

fwiw: Might want to let the tank settle back down a bit. A healthy BTA can recover from unfathomable abuse, getting cut into pieces going through an overflow, pump intakes sucking half into the impellers, etc.

fwiw2: have maintained countless numbers of clowns, literally countless and have yet to have one choke to death, fair to say such an event is uncommon. Very very small clowns, <1/2" have been known to eat so much they die though.

All the best in your efforts and again I would give the tank a break for a bit, it sounds like something might not be quite right.

Good luck.

EDIT: fwiw3: clowns will jump out, but in my experience they are scared or chased out of the tank.

Edited by traveller7

I'm pretty confident it is nothing relating to water quality/conditions. The BTA got hammered pretty good. And the clownfish (maybe a bit over an inch) definitely had a huge chunk of goods just beyond his lips as I pried the food out after death.

All my corals and other fish appear to be just fine, but I'll certainly keep an eye on things.

Oh, the joys!

Edited by wdytat

Wow... okay losing my GBTA by getting sucked into a filter was hard, but that beats me. I'm very sorry for your loss also.

Sean @ Aquaco is a great guy, talk to him and he may be able to work something out with you regarding the clown.

Seems we're both having bad week.

Kevin

As noted in a WTB thread (WTB: Anemone) earlier today, a fallen rock gave my BTA a bruising that it couldn't recover from, and it was found as a lovely pile of goo today.

should run some carbon..and sorry for your loss..

Sorry to hear about your loss. I have some BTA like brown ones that have split about 10 times. my prec's love them. I know they are brown but they do well . you can have one if you want LMK.

Curtis

Sorry to hear about your loses.. just yesterday my bar gobby shifted enough sand which made half of my rock slide. I had to re-work my rock work which was paint, but I feel your pain

Sid