acrylic help

gudgreef

I snapped the top of an old Euroreef skimmer and live in an area where acrylic glues/solvents aren't locally available. Before I place an online I wanted to make sure I order the right thing. Someone suggested weld-on #4 followed by #16. Any input on what product to get and what site to get it from would be greatly appreciated.

tom

Edited by gudgreef

I snapped the top of an old Euroreef skimmer and live in an area where acrylic glues/solvents aren't locally available. Before I place an online I wanted to make sure I order the right thing. Someone suggested weld-on #4 followed by #16. Any input on what product to get and what site to get it from would be greatly appreciated.

tom

Weld-On #16 is probably what you want. That's the glue-like stuff that is partially solvent but is designed to mend breaks and fill gaps. #4 is a water-thing chemical that will create a chemical bond between the pieces, but you need them to fit perfectly. If you broke something off, go with #16. Euro-Reef sells it from their website without the ridiculous shipping upcharge. Piedmont plastics is the best place locally to get it - call ahead and place the order to make sure they have it before you go out there. Very nice, helpful people.

if you're going with #16, make sure you use a tip - the tube doesn't come with any. Trim it to the size you need and it will allow you to lay a bead down without making a mess.

I'd use either #3 (faster bond) or #4 (slower bond and some believe better) and then follow it up with #16 as a bead around it.

Make sure all surfaces are clean and dry.