Candy Basslet

VicSkimmr

(edited)

I have seen one recently. I'll have to take a look through my links and report back.

EDIT: actually called the Swales Swissguard Basslet, you can get one from LiveAquaria.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1436

GL

Edited by CHUBAKAH

HowardofNOVA just sold an awesome looking one during his get out sale.

I know he got it at BZA

Very nice looking/peaceful fish but good luck with keeping many inverts like shrimp.

He means Lipropoma Carmabi (Atlantic Candy Basslet), not Lipropoma Swalesi (Swissguard or Pacific Candy Basslet. Good luck finding one. I've been looking for the last 6 months and can't find one online anywhere. Found a few places via google but they are in Canada or Europe.

This is a lead I haven't checked into yet: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/liopropomafaqs.htm

Looks like there's a guy/gal at wetwebmedia that goes by J. that may have a source. The post isn't dated so I don't know how old it is. I would write in and see what they have to say. Good luck! Let me know if you have any luck!!

I had been looking for one of those for years and never could find one. I thought I had a lead on one at Sea Save in Glen Burnie, but it was the swalesi basslet they mixed up with the candy basslet (Liopropoma carmabi). Hopefully, whenever I get back in to the hobby in the future they'll be easier to find as they are a beautiful fish. I would keep them in a smaller tank if you do find one as the Liopropoma sp. are incredibly shy and may rarely be seen in a large tank with alot of hidey holes.

(edited)

I beg to differ Seamonkey. If you look at his posting, and my posting the fish look exactly alike. The fish you posted looks nothing like the fish he posted.

:drink:

Edited by CHUBAKAH

(edited)

Chubakah, Liopropoma carmabi (candy basslet found in the tropical Atlantic the one Vicskimmr is looking for) and Liopropoma swalesi (Swalesi/Pacific candy basslet) look similar but are not the same fish. They can be easily mistaken, but one occurs in the Pacific the other in the Atlantic.

Edited by jhn

Yeah, I see what the article calls the fish. Seems the pictures just don't add up.

:why:

When I saw the question, I just remembered seeing the fish.

:drink:

Don't mind me.

Someone has got their pictures wrong.

;)

I hear ya, some of the LFS stores around here mix them up as well. I don't know if they have fixed it or not, but Petsolutions.com has a pic of L. carmabi when in fact what they are selling is L. swalesi.

There's also another that comes from the Atlantic which looks similar. L. Rubre known as the Swiss Guard Basslet. This is what Howard was selling, much easier to find. House of Tropicals had 2 of them last week.

George

Contacted WetWebMedia and they told me the owner of dynasty marine had recently written an article on collection methods for the Atlantic Candy Basslet. I went to their website and looked up their Virginia retail outlets. Here is the webpage: http://www.dynastymarine.net/retailers.html#va

I would give one of these stores a call for to see if they can be ordered and at what price.