First time plumbing help

MOT

heyall I get my new stand tomorrow and I'm gonna try to start plumbing the tank. My plan is two use two Eheim 1260's as a return from my 55 gallon sump. I would like to use soft tubing so that I can tweak the configuration of my sump more easily. I plan on not joining the the two drains together because I heard that makes a lot of noise. My sump will pretty much just be a refugium. The drains will flow into the 55 on either end through a filter sock. My protein skimmer is a gsa standard 8 which will sit next to the fuge. The fuge will be barebottom with some live rock in order to syphon out detritus more easily. I would like then to have a dsb in my display of at least 5". Any thoughts on this configuration? Equipment or plumbing advice? Thanks, Tom

heyall I get my new stand tomorrow and I'm gonna try to start plumbing the tank. My plan is two use two Eheim 1260's as a return from my 55 gallon sump. I would like to use soft tubing so that I can tweak the configuration of my sump more easily. I plan on not joining the the two drains together because I heard that makes a lot of noise. My sump will pretty much just be a refugium. The drains will flow into the 55 on either end through a filter sock. My protein skimmer is a gsa standard 8 which will sit next to the fuge. The fuge will be barebottom with some live rock in order to syphon out detritus more easily. I would like then to have a dsb in my display of at least 5". Any thoughts on this configuration? Equipment or plumbing advice? Thanks, Tom

I have a similar setup with a 120 gallon and a 30 gallon sump/refugium. I use one eheim 1262 pump for my return. I think the 2 1260's you want to do is a good idea for redundancy. The only drawback would be a little extra heat, but I don't think the eheims put out much heat at all. Make sure you plumb a gate valve on the return side of each of those pumps so you can fine tune how much flow you are going to get through your fuge. I plumbed my drains separately. One drain I am using to gravity feed my h&s a150 (money skimmer by the way ; ) ) The other drain I have a filter sock on to reduce microbubbles. Can you gravity feed a gsa standard 8? If you can, do it! I used flex pvc for my plumbing. Be sure not to twist the flex pvc into the joint when joining. Just push it in and hold for 30seconds. My dsb is 7" in the display and 7" in my refugium. Along with gracilaria in my refugium. I think your equipment selections are great. What are you planning on keeping?

yeah they will be independent

Just to clarify

These will be independant, not connected together somehow right?

I don't know where you're located but I've plummed 3 systems with in the last year if you're near me I can show you some stuff.

I have a similar setup with a 120 gallon and a 30 gallon sump/refugium. I use one eheim 1262 pump for my return. I think the 2 1260's you want to do is a good idea for redundancy. The only drawback would be a little extra heat, but I don't think the eheims put out much heat at all. Make sure you plumb a gate valve on the return side of each of those pumps so you can fine tune how much flow you are going to get through your fuge. I plumbed my drains separately. One drain I am using to gravity feed my h&s a150 (money skimmer by the way ; ) ) The other drain I have a filter sock on to reduce microbubbles. Can you gravity feed a gsa standard 8? If you can, do it! I used flex pvc for my plumbing. Be sure not to twist the flex pvc into the joint when joining. Just push it in and hold for 30seconds. My dsb is 7" in the display and 7" in my refugium. Along with gracilaria in my refugium. I think your equipment selections are great. What are you planning on keeping?

Thanks for the feedback. I think if i was to run one of my drains through my skimmer I would have to significantly reduce the flow. I really want to keep turn over high in my display. Thats an interesting idea though. I bought the skimmer used without the feed pump. The seller recommended a maxijet 1200, I will have to contact dan and see what he recommends. How good are filter socks at removing particulate matter? I suppose the micron level makes a difference. It seems a lot more simple than having different chambers with foam blocks in them. Do you have any tips on maintaining your dsb? Do you keep any sandsifters? I was thinking about getting a jawfish. I plan to keep a mixed reef, not quite sure how sps intensive, I would like to experiment with some easier ones I have kept in the past like montipora caps and such. I definitely plan on keeping E. quad. and a pair of occelaris. An assortment of wrasses, a royal gramma, chromis, anthias, flame angel, and MAYBE a couple of tangs

Thanks for the offer Jason, I have looked through a lot of your threads and you definitely seem to have a lot of experiece. Unfortunately I live in Falls Church which I don't think you'd consider close to Laurel MD. I predict I will be spending a lot of time in the home depot.

I don't know where you're located but I've plummed 3 systems with in the last year if you're near me I can show you some stuff.

(edited)

MOT,

Please update your profile with your location. This is a friendly club, and there are lot of people near you that will be willing to help.

Good luck!

Quaz

Edited by quazi

Good Idea, done

MOT,

Please update your profile with your location. This is a friendly club, and there are lot of people near you that will be willing to help.

Good luck!

Quaz

I will be in same boat at Mot pretty soon once the house renovation is done that is. I have GSA std 8 and will be using 75gl as my sump. I have two drains as well but I am planning on using one pump Mag 12 to return the water back in main tank. I also don't have a feeder pump for my GSA either and thinking about using Mag 7 for that. I am also planning on using flex hose due to space and location of the sump. I would love to see your setup Mot if you don't mind once you are done as I still have few weeks to finish the renovation at the house to get the idea. I don't know much about plumbing etc either :cry:

I just got back from the lfs only to find that my stand is on back order until next tuesday. So needless to say I won't be getting started until next week. Oh well what can I do. Have you talked to Dan about what kind of feed pump to use? I sent him a PM but haven't gotten a reply yet, I'm sure he is a busy man with the restaurant, gsa, and baby girl. I would be happy to show you my setup as soon as I get started. What size tank will you be using for your display?

I will be in same boat at Mot pretty soon once the house renovation is done that is. I have GSA std 8 and will be using 75gl as my sump. I have two drains as well but I am planning on using one pump Mag 12 to return the water back in main tank. I also don't have a feeder pump for my GSA either and thinking about using Mag 7 for that. I am also planning on using flex hose due to space and location of the sump. I would love to see your setup Mot if you don't mind once you are done as I still have few weeks to finish the renovation at the house to get the idea. I don't know much about plumbing etc either :cry:

I just got back from the lfs only to find that my stand is on back order until next tuesday. So needless to say I won't be getting started until next week. Oh well what can I do. Have you talked to Dan about what kind of feed pump to use? I sent him a PM but haven't gotten a reply yet, I'm sure he is a busy man with the restaurant, gsa, and baby girl. I would be happy to show you my setup as soon as I get started. What size tank will you be using for your display?

what a bummer...

I actually PM'ed him couple of weeks ago and he gave me his contact info to get intouch with him Mon or Tue during the week and I haven't had chance to do so. I actually did thought about giving him a call regarding the GSA but got busy at work during the day.. I want to take the skimmer to him so he can do the minor mods for me and you are right he's got his hands full these days.

I have a 144gl half circle Oceanic that I'll be using for my main. I have have 75gl right now that I'll transfer everything to this 144gl and then use that 75gl as for sump. I've not planned it all out how I am going to transition all this. I have 30gl, 40gl spare tanks plus 4 rubbermaids.. so it will be a weekend job I guess.