pH adjustments

MisterTang

In the past, I honestly have not mucked with pH stuff much - I purchased my water from the LFS, kept a single fish and a small zoa colony, and did frequent large water changes. Now that I'm upgrading, I guess I need to start keeping better tabs on this.

Now, I've read that the pH pens are a must, hands-down - but I read conflicting reports as to what to use to adjust your pH. I've read that some people even use baking soda! Basically, I've seen pH UP and pH DOWN at PetCo, but frankly, it looks like it's geared more towards smaller tanks. I've also seen big buckets of pH-altering chemicals at Wal-Mart for swimming pools.

So what's the general consensus on what's good, easy, and relatively inexpensive?

(edited)

If you are going to be keeping corals then you will need to get into the water parameters including, kH & calcium. kH is the most important parameter to get right 1st. Here is a link to an article on water parameters by Randy Farley Holmes: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

:cheers:

Edited by Highland Reefer

In the past, I honestly have not mucked with pH stuff much - I purchased my water from the LFS, kept a single fish and a small zoa colony, and did frequent large water changes. Now that I'm upgrading, I guess I need to start keeping better tabs on this.

Now, I've read that the pH pens are a must, hands-down - but I read conflicting reports as to what to use to adjust your pH. I've read that some people even use baking soda! Basically, I've seen pH UP and pH DOWN at PetCo, but frankly, it looks like it's geared more towards smaller tanks. I've also seen big buckets of pH-altering chemicals at Wal-Mart for swimming pools.

So what's the general consensus on what's good, easy, and relatively inexpensive?

You'll still need to keep up with your water changes to maintain the buffering capacity of the water, but you should dose 2-part daily. Check out www.bulkreefsupply.com and pick up their starter kit - it comes with 3 jugs, 2 hand pumps for the jugs and the buckets of dry chemical that you dissolve in water to do the dosing. It's probably the most economical way to do your 2-part. The starter kit runs about $50-$60 (depending how how much you get) plus shipping. It includes everything you need to raise and maintain your alk, calcium, and magnesium (requried to maintain the other 2). I have the Total 2-part package that I dose in my 29gal nano and 120gal FOWLR. Each gallon mix lasts me about 2-3 mos and the total package comes with enough to mix up probably 5-6 gallons. I haven't used it all, so I'm guessing here. You can buy commercial pre-mixed 2-part solutions like b-ionic, but it gets expensive quickly.

To start off I bought some 2 part liquid ESV B-Ionic. I'll be switching to automatic shortly though. I don't like the add "30ml" or 1ml per gal. type of deal.

My H20 parameters are right, but I want to take the "guess" work out of it.

After 4 days of adding it, and new lighting, on a relatively new tank - with cultured live rock and live sand my brain coral grew 1/4 on three sides. So something is working. I doubt it had anything to do with me talking to it....... :biggrin:

(edited)

I'd agree 2 Part was a good way to control your Calcum and Alk, this should keep your pH at normal levels. I'll usually use 2 part to get my tank where I want it. Then use Kalkwasser in my topoff to maintain the levels. After testing I'd determine how much of calcum and alk to reach my desired effect.

This is a FANTASTIC calcuator for calcium and alk adjustments! It will tell you how much to dose, of course don't dump it in all at once. It even has explainations of what's going on with your tank chemistry wise.

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

You can even make your own 2 part, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php So I would say it is cheap, but takes a little on your part to make sure dosing is correct.

Edited by Freezerburn