Aquapod Cover

multihobbyguy

Hello, I was wondering what other aquapod owners were using to cover the top of their aquapods. I have the 24g aquapod with the 150watt halide. I read when I first set it up to not use the glass top that came with it on another forum, something about it breaking from the heat. I am not sure if this is correct or not. I am also not real excited about trying a open top. I am not sure if any of the fish would try to jump but a top also keeps the snails out of the back chambers. Since I set it up about 3 months ago I have been using ceiling tile egg crate cut to fit but I seem to get a lot of shadows that I don't care for. If anyone else is using something else they like, I would love to know what to try. Thanks Chris.

(edited)

You can try acrylic, but it'll bend due to the heat. It's cheap and you can get lowe's to cut it up for you for free. :) Maybe this way, you can drill some holes in it to free up the surface agitation? :)

Edited by amay121

Has aquapod made a recall? you might want to check it seems odd that soo many people are having problems!

I used the glass top for a short while but I no longer use it.. I don't think it would break.. it does keep the tank a degree or two cooler.. which isn't a big deal for me since i usually cool my place to the low 70s..

however, there is poor gas exchange with the lid on and it was making my pH low.

I don't think your concerns are a big deal. Yes, snails go into my filter bins.. they also come back into the display.. it really doesn't hurt anything for them to go back there.. in fact, if they go back there and stay there i figure there is algae back there they are eating. they never leave the tank because, well i don't have marine water outside of it :)

There are fish that are surely jumpers, but I haven't had my clown fish or blenny even look like they wanted to jump.. if they ever get stressed they are darting into the rocks, not out of the tank..

I would leave the top off, and then if you have problems, you can try to come up with an alternative..

I do think about going without a cover. I would have to come up with some sort of filter to keep the snails from crawling up the discharge of the cpr refugium and overflowing the refuge.

I do think about going without a cover. I would have to come up with some sort of filter to keep the snails from crawling up the discharge of the cpr refugium and overflowing the refuge.

i am not sure what kind of opening you'd need to cover, but plastic gutter guard generally works well for that type of stuff. plus its only like $2 for 3 ft of it.

How do you like the CPR? It seemed quite pricey so i never got one.. i made one of those DIY refugiums out of an aquaclear 70.. it doesn't do much to increase the water volume, and i don't think the clip on light i am using is really as bright as it should be to get the chaeto very noticeably., but i used to have to occassionally pluck pieces of macro out of the display area, and i don't anymore, so i guess it is doing something.

i am not sure what kind of opening you'd need to cover, but plastic gutter guard generally works well for that type of stuff. plus its only like $2 for 3 ft of it.

How do you like the CPR? It seemed quite pricey so i never got one.. i made one of those DIY refugiums out of an aquaclear 70.. it doesn't do much to increase the water volume, and i don't think the clip on light i am using is really as bright as it should be to get the chaeto very noticeably., but i used to have to occassionally pluck pieces of macro out of the display area, and i don't anymore, so i guess it is doing something.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the cpr. It was a bit pricey but, I keep my heater in there and it helps keep my nitrates way down. I also use the extra space in the back sump for a nice little in sump skimmer.

Hello, I was wondering what other aquapod owners were using to cover the top of their aquapods. I have the 24g aquapod with the 150watt halide. I read when I first set it up to not use the glass top that came with it on another forum, something about it breaking from the heat. I am not sure if this is correct or not. I am also not real excited about trying a open top. I am not sure if any of the fish would try to jump but a top also keeps the snails out of the back chambers. Since I set it up about 3 months ago I have been using ceiling tile egg crate cut to fit but I seem to get a lot of shadows that I don't care for. If anyone else is using something else they like, I would love to know what to try. Thanks Chris.

I have a similar tank 34 gal with 150W HQI and have gone topless since I set it up. I have not had a jumper and no heat build up to worry about. The only drawback I know of is the amount of evaporation. As long as you can keep up with that, I recommend taking and leaving the top off.

Ron