kinda off topic

GaryL

i have a sharp camcorder that takes the small style cassettes... modelo number vl-a45u....it has a expansion slot...is there anyway i can get a firewire port for this? would this be an ok candidate for it...or is it just better to go get a newer cam corder?

thanks in advance

i have a sharp camcorder that takes the small style cassettes... modelo number vl-a45u....it has a expansion slot...is there anyway i can get a firewire port for this? would this be an ok candidate for it...or is it just better to go get a newer cam corder?

thanks in advance

For the firewire port to be useful the camera would need to be digital. I think there are a couple of digital camcorders that use tape media but these would have some sort of integrated output port like either USB or Firewire. If your camera has neither, then you would want a video card and software that will do video capture in order to get the movies into your computer. This is a slow process since you have to play the movie while the computer samples and digitizes.

So the short answer is if you want future videos you shoot to be digital and you want to be able to manipulate them with the computer, buy a new digital camcorder.

if it's the kind I'm thinking about...

DVD/VHS combo recorder - get a VHS tape adapter for the cassettes your cam uses, and use the recorder to switch them to DVD. Move them to the computer from the DVD for editing.

if it's the kind I'm thinking about...

DVD/VHS combo recorder - get a VHS tape adapter for the cassettes your cam uses, and use the recorder to switch them to DVD. Move them to the computer from the DVD for editing.

i wish i never would of threw away the old vhs...good idea tho. i might have to get another...i got a dvd+r recorder that is by itself.

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

i wish i never would of threw away the old vhs...good idea tho. i might have to get another...i got a dvd+r recorder that is by itself.

I may be mistaken but if I remember correctly, the Shap Viewcam VL-A45 series uses 8mm tapes. If it is the case, then you cannot use the VHS adapter.

Edited by JMsAquarium

i found a cable that goes from the camera to the tv... the only thing is to record some stuff onto the computer i think i need extra hardware to capture the video....id think i rather spend my money on my fish tank than on my vid recorder.

anyone have some vid capture hardware lying around for windows xp computer?