Floor Tiles and Aquarium Weight

albatross666

Hi

What is the general wisdom on how long you should wait before putting weight on a new tile floor? The tank is a 55 gallon tank with 10 gallon sump and about 60 lbs of sand and 80 lbs of rock. Plus the weight of water!

The installer told me that its OK to move stuff back after 2 days, but would not commit to the tank.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks!

tile setups in 24hrs, once dry its dry and ready to go!

I would recommend at 2x seal coat if he has not already! You can pick it up at HD, NOT CHEAP, about $30 for a small spray bottle, but wouldn't hurt!

If your looking to putting down a tank on tile, off course there are no legs right? Just flat base boards?

I would recommend a rubber base piece of carpet for under the whole stand to keep water spots later when you move. I used it on my last 2 tanks and worked great in case you move!

There's a lot of factors that come into play on whether it will properly support your tank or not.

• What type of tile? I wouldn't put a tank on marlbe tile...
  • What's the subfloor made of? Does it have any flex to it? If it does, it's likely to crack the tiles.
  • Was there a thickset or a thinset mortar used?
  • How big are the tiles themselves?

All of these things will influence advice you get on whether it's safe or not.

Hi.

Thanks a lot for your input, here are additional details

1. There was no seal coat applied. The guy is coming out tonight to put it on.

2. Tile is ceramic, 12" by 12"

3. Subfloor is concerte. I am not sure about flex. He did use a sander to level the concrete in some areas.

4. Thinset was used.

So how does it look? I will get the rubber mat, but did not get time to go and get one yesterday. That should help with water spills and distribute the weight evenly.

Thanks

Dave had some great points!

IMO:

1. There was no seal coat applied. The guy is coming out tonight to put it on. After he sprays the area and its drys for a day, see if he could leave some in a spray bottle and spray the seems again in the immediate area where the tank will be? Just spray the cracks, wait about an hour and wipe with a rag and "wet" spots on the tile. Should do it!

2. Tile is ceramic, 12" by 12", great!

3. Subfloor is concerte. I am not sure about flex. He did use a sander to level the concrete in some areas. Even better, will be no flex unless its less than 4" thick, which for sub-floors its probably about 6"?

4. Thinset was used. ready to go after IMO a second coat of sealer in tank area!

I always just keep re-applying the sealer to the grout until it wouldn't absorb it anymore, ie. it's sealed. It just takes a second to run along all the grout lines with one of those spray cans. I swear it wasn't $30 for it either. I don't see the one I used on their website, but a 12oz bottle w/ an applicator roller (kinda like a roll-on... heehee) is $2.97.