Starting from scratch

Tom C.

OK, here is the deal. After having a 220 gallon predator tank for about two years I had to break the tank down and replace the stand. So after thinking I would like to make the predator a reef tank. I would like some suggestions on what the differences would be. I have heard that even the sand had to be reaclimated due to its high content of poop or nitrates. Also, I have a set of eight T5's that are hanging over the tank. What would adequate lighting for the tank be? Should I get the tank drilled for a closed loop? I never had a clean up crew in the tank so I know I need to invest in a crew. I have a magnificent foxface, and a sohal tang that I am keeping but would also like to know what wildlife you would add? I had about six maxijet 1200 going on in there but would like to get rid of them and save on some electricity.

lighting-- t5's will suffice

a closed loop would be nice and could save on electricity.

you're right about the sand. i would either go w/ new substrate or just rinse it HEAVILY!

if you dont already have 1, you may want to consider a good, quality skimmer. i heard that GSA makes pretty good stuff. ;)

what kind of reef do you intend to do? sps, lps, mixed????

wildlife--anykind of shrimp, snails and crabs. all fish except the fish that are aggressive--i thought that you would know. schools of chromis and anthias are nice. clownfish, additional tangs, cardinals and wrasses are all good.

some keep DSB and others have refugiums. some ppl even have both or niether. it's all up to you how you work that.

lighting-- t5's will suffice

a closed loop would be nice and could save on electricity.

you're right about the sand. i would either go w/ new substrate or just rinse it HEAVILY!

if you dont already have 1, you may want to consider a good, quality skimmer. i heard that GSA makes pretty good stuff. ;)

what kind of reef do you intend to do? sps, lps, mixed????

wildlife--anykind of shrimp, snails and crabs. all fish except the fish that are aggressive--i thought that you would know. schools of chromis and anthias are nice. clownfish, additional tangs, cardinals and wrasses are all good.

some keep DSB and others have refugiums. some ppl even have both or niether. it's all up to you how you work that.

You think a closed loop would use less energy then some sure-flow maxi jets? Id go with those. Theyd be fairly unobtrusive in a big tank like that and each one puts out 2100gph. I cant imagine how many watts a CL pump would be that puts out say 6300gph (assuming you had 3)