Lost my saddleback clownfish

Gurnie

I went away for a long weekend, and while away my two saddleback clownfish, whom i thought were better after being treated for ich, took a dive and both died yesterday. They looked completely fine when i left and when i got back it looked like someone beat them with a baseball bat.

It's not the pet sitter's fault, she has taken care of my fish before over a period of 2 weeks and they were fine.

Questions about the tank:

So i'm going to leave my reef tank sit empty for 6-8 weeks, maybe even longer, as late as june or august to put in new fish since i go on vacation in july/august and i'm not sure if i should let the fish be at home with the pet sitter if they are so new to the tank. i gotta think about it.

But as for the display, do i continue to do a 20% water change every 2 weeks or can i lower the amount (either a monthly change or only 10% changes)

I have a fromia starfish and some about 9 hermits hermits along with 3 mithrex crabs and about 3 snails, do i need to occasionally throw frozen food in there (there's a lot of hair algea to eat)? if so how much and how often?

can i add more shrimp in the meantime? will any of the above critters be a host for ich?

but waiting at least 6-8 weeks before adding new fish seems to be the golden amount of time to wait, correct?

Now here's my main question:

Where can i purchase another young saddleback clownfish pair in the DC area? I went to congressional aquarium and i think the saddleback i bought from there had the ich, because my other saddleback was as healthy as a horse. their saddleback was really mean too, as she grew quickly and bullied the male.

They are not commonly found in the stores. That being said, talk to John at BRK, Sean at F&F, or Mr.Coral. I'm sure any one of them would be willing to check with their wholesalers and order some in for you. Ya'll are blessed up there with some outstanding LFS (I say up there 'cause I'm in NC now). Another option would be to check with Traveler7, if he can't find some for you they are extinct. :) (Traveler7 is the local clownfish guru, he should be able to point you in the right direction.)

Hope this helps.

BB

(edited)

Thank-you both. I will keep this all in mind. I've heard of aquarium one, are they a good store?

Does anyone know about how long i should wait before adding the fish in my new tank? (referring to first post)

Edited by Gurnie

Any places in northern Virginia that have a great rep that sells them? i don't mind the drive if the only place that sells them is in MD, but Va would be great

Too bad marine scene doesn't sell them, they are right up the road from me (reston)

Thank-you both. I will keep this all in mind. I've heard of aquarium one, are they a good store?

Does anyone know about how long i should wait before adding the fish in my new tank? (referring to first post)

If the tank is completely devoid of fish, you should wait at least 28 days. that is how long the life cycle of the bug that causes ick lasts. But, to be on the safe side I would probably add a couple of weeks to that, say at least 6 weeks to lie fallow without any fish. This works because the ick parasite needs a fish host to complete the lifecycle.

Aquarium One isn't so bad. The store itself is quite small and they're having some electrical issues. IMO, they're pretty good to work with. Sometimes they'll help you out with a discount as well if you're a WAMAS member. Head over there in the afternoon (not today because they're closed due to some maintenance work) one day and check them out. They're got a cool lyretail flasher wrasse that looks really nice which I may pick up, but I'm waiting for my CUC to help out with the tank some.

Aquarium One isn't so bad. The store itself is quite small and they're having some electrical issues. IMO, they're pretty good to work with. Sometimes they'll help you out with a discount as well if you're a WAMAS member. Head over there in the afternoon (not today because they're closed due to some maintenance work) one day and check them out. They're got a cool lyretail flasher wrasse that looks really nice which I may pick up, but I'm waiting for my CUC to help out with the tank some.

yeah i'm just afraid from buying another saddleback from an iffy store and then the fish carrying ich.

Hey Gurnie, you've got four options close to you. Marine Scene is in Reston, the Aquarium Company is in Reston, Blue Ribbon Koi is in Manassas/Catharpin, and Fins and Feathers is in Ashburn. The last three are premium sponsors and have their own forums in the Vendor areas, post up there to inquire as to fish availability. All three will do right by you and will try to get you what you are looking for.