Grounding Probe....

ASaleem91

I found a number of helpful tutorials on installing a GFCI outlet and one of them was helpful in terms of figuring out if you wired it correctly with the load-line deal if you don't have a voltage detector. It said once everything is installed and you've turned the circuit back on at the breaker panel, plug in a night light. The light should turn on. Then press the "Test" button. If the light turns off, you got the load and line wires correct. If the light stays on, however, you screwed it up and need to rewire it. Thought that was a helpful tip worth sharing in case folks don't want to buy yet more once-time use equipment.

I thought this was a really informative thread. I was wondering if we should have an entire Forum dedicated to Safety, with some pinned threads? I personally would find that very valuable.

As for installing the second GFCI, that will be a project for this weekend... and I'll go ahead and order that grounding probe...

Is it safe to assume both the sump and display to be one contiguous body of water? i.e. where do people tend to ground their systems, display or sump (or both)?

Is it safe to assume both the sump and display to be one contiguous body of water? i.e. where do people tend to ground their systems, display or sump (or both)?

The column of water from your return pump should link the main tank to the sump. If you want to go for the belt and suspenders approach put a grounding probe in the sump and main tank. However, one in the sump should be sufficient.