Is 7" big enough

Carl

OK...my 75 build is starting to see some progress...and with a self-imposed deadline looming...I think I may actually get it done this time.

I am building a sump for the 75. The sump is a 29 gallon.

My question - Is a fuge 7 inches wide beneficial enough to actually include it? or do I scrap the whole fuge thing.

As you can see from the picture...Dan's Shorty takes up a good portion of the sump (left side of picture).

The return area with a Mag 5 takes up the right side.

This leaves me with 7 inches at the most, where I can put a fuge.

DSC_1100.jpg

Just put an intake guard on the pump and make the whole area a fuge if not sjure 7" is totally work it HOB fuges are skinner than that, go for it it will not only add filtration benifit as well as pods to the tank.

Like you are saying Jason...similar to this design on Melev's web site...although this design is NOT growing anything in the return pump chamber

20gsump_new.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Carl,

In your build based on this design, do you have enough depth there to include a DSB or are you just going with a layer of substrate and the chaeto?

P.S./Edit: Also, if you're using a Mag 5 return, it looks like you're going to have less flow than I will and thus a less turbulent sump. In light of that, perhaps I shouldn't use a DSB regardless. Hrm.

Edited by SnowHeart

Yes, I have a Mag 5, so we'll see how that works out. I'm going to use the Mag5 to power the UV, Skimmer and the return. I'm not sure how I'll plumb it yet...I may run the skimmer directly from the overflow, and let the return to the sump pass through the skimmer. But as you said, with the current design I won't have much flow through the sump.

The CL will be run off a dart - 3600 gph with no head. So the tank could be as much as 50x turnover/hour.