How do you introduce calcium into smaller systems?

onux20

I currently have the Solana from Current-USA. The tank is rated at 34gal. The question I have is for the folks with smaller tanks, how do you introduce calcium into your system? I want to try SPS and want to make sure they are getting what they need to flourish.

Calcium reactor? Kalkstirrer? Would either be overkill for such a small tank? I do plan to upgrade to a 125+ in the future so it would be put to good use if/when the upgrade happens.

Thoughts?

Ron

umm.... just pour it in :biggrin:

a kalk stirrer wouldn't be bad, but you should be able to keep up using 2-part. www.bulkreefsupply.com and order one of their starter kits - much cheaper than b-ionic or any of the commercial 2-parts in the long run.

Guest MikeInFredVA

I currently have the Solana from Current-USA. The tank is rated at 34gal. The question I have is for the folks with smaller tanks, how do you introduce calcium into your system? I want to try SPS and want to make sure they are getting what they need to flourish.

Calcium reactor? Kalkstirrer? Would either be overkill for such a small tank? I do plan to upgrade to a 125+ in the future so it would be put to good use if/when the upgrade happens.

Thoughts?

Ron

I have an old 18g AquaVista and I Use C Balance and it works great for my little tank. Also Keep in mind I do have a 96 watt 20 inch pc on it too. butthe tank looks nice and keep softies and SPS in it just fine.

Mike

Two part is a good option for small tanks, it all depends on what works for you. You'll not find two setups the same - the beauty of this hobby, a multitude of choices.

I've done both the kalk in my make up water and the 2 part for my 16 gallon nano - both work great, but for me, the 2 part works best. Like the others said, it's all about finding out what works best for you and your tank.

The nice thing is (as you've already found out) is that you have options. How automated is do you want your system to be? You could manually measure out and add two part daily (works fine, but kinda a grind), but what happens when you go away? Now you are missing days, and your balance is out of whack. So you could do two part via dosing pumps (or aqualifters-which I wouldn't recommend for 2-part) which is another expense. And to get a good dosing setup is not small expense (I use a aquamedic triple doser which is just okay and I belive new it costs ~ 300). A nice litermeter or good two channel perisaltic is going to cost just as much, and in case of the litermeter, even more.

A kalk reactor (if you go that route) can be DIY'ed (ErikS just posted in the DIY forum his) cheaply for $50 and nicely (a la Erik's) for 100. Or Dan sells nice ones as well, or pick up a used one or... Point is, not a huge expense. You would just need a top off resevoir and a digital timer and you are ready to go. I'd put total cost to set up kalk via a reactor (assuming DIY or used) at under $130. I've overdosed kalk a few times (purely through user error, and I've eliminated (adjusted) those failure points), but never to any degree of tank collapse. If your top off resevoir is only a few gallons (and on your size tank a few gallons would last at least a week I would think), a overdose of saturated limewater isn't going to be the end all (so we hope).

You could also just use kalk in a large resevoir w/o a reactor. Check Cliff's link... I'm sure it's in there somewhere. This could again be used with a dosing pump, aqualifter on a timer, ATO (or some other float valve), osmolater, et al. More saturated limewater in this method means that if there is a failure, more limewater could potentially get dumped into the system.

Blah.

G.

I am setting up a smaller system and was planning on putting together a DIY kalk dripper: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php

I figured if its only a gallon or 2 and dripping slowly it will not negatively affect the pH or anything.

Any downsides to that method? Its only a few $ to build it and most smaller systems won't have the Ca requirements to need more expensive equipment anyways

(edited)

None really - just the valve/hose clogging & waiting for the kalk to settle before use.

I still have the old Folgers model I made a long time ago :biggrin:

The nice thing is (as you've already found out) is that you have options.

:lol: The reefer's headache - so many options

Edited by ErikS

I would just use Kalk for all top off.

Do you mean, when I add 1 or 2 liters (thats how much I added this morning) of RO/DI in the morning and evening, to top off with Kalk instead? Or some combo or RO/DI and Kalk? Not sure what the ratio would be though. :why:

Just add kalk to your RO/DI, making it into saturated limewater. Check Cliff's links. I'm sure he directed you to the correct place. A heaping tablespoon mixed in with a gallon of water would probably make saturated kalkwasser.

G.

Do you mean, when I add 1 or 2 liters (thats how much I added this morning) of RO/DI in the morning and evening, to top off with Kalk instead? Or some combo or RO/DI and Kalk? Not sure what the ratio would be though. :why:

It depends on the tank, 100% topoff with Kalk could be too much (too much alk & too high PH). Really the only way to know for certain is to try it.

1)Measure Alk and PH

2)Use 100% kalk topoff for 24 - 48hrs

3)Measure ALK and PH

Going up? Then use a combo of straight RO topoff with Kalk = find the balance of the two your tank needs.

FWIW - I cheat, I have a couple of ball valves (quick connect) that allows me to take the kalkreactor out of line in a jiff.

What you could do is....................

1) Use a DIY Kalk dripper (like in the link, or any jug). Mix it up & have that drip in. Just use your RO topoff as normal (you'll use less).

Just add kalk to your RO/DI, making it into saturated limewater. Check Cliff's links. I'm sure he directed you to the correct place. A heaping tablespoon mixed in with a gallon of water would probably make saturated kalkwasser.

G.

Oh you mean I should read the previous posts?! :blush:

I see what you are saying now. Thanks again everyone for your help and advice.

Ron

Mostly you should do whatever Erik tells you to... he's way smarter than me.

I don't think so.................remember I'm the one who got a phone call before the meeting about overflowing the water change bucket.

1/2 the time I think Forrest Gump would do better in this hobby then I do :lol:

For all top off you can use a Kalk mix of 1-2 tsp(2 tsp makes it saturated) Kalk powder to one gallon of RO water. Test your calcium level now, you want near 400 ppm of calcium, then test again after a few days of using the Kalk to see if it is bringing the CA level up, once your at your desired level you can adjust the amount of Kalk to maintain that level. I highly recommend a Ph monitor so you can easily see what your Ph is doing at different times of the day/night and dosing. I have my Auto top off which flows through my Kalk reactor to only come on a few times a night when lights are out to keep the Ph more constant. I found if I left the ATO to top off whenever needed, day or night, my Ph would go a little higher than I was comfortable seeing (over 8.6). This is what works for my tank, every tank is different, just find what works for you and your tank. Good luck.

Wreck

The nice thing is that once the RO/DI is saturated with kalk, it's done... can't take anymore. Meaning if you mix up 1g of water with 5 cups of kalk powder it isn't an issue (in theory). You can supersaturate with vinegar if you choose, though I'm not a proponent of that for my own reasons.

G.

where do u buy Kalk mix?

You can buy it any LFS or online at bulkreefsupply.com. I just put up a WTB posting here and picked up a big bag of Mississippi Lime from another member.

Wreck

The nice thing is that once the RO/DI is saturated with kalk, it's done... can't take anymore. Meaning if you mix up 1g of water with 5 cups of kalk powder it isn't an issue (in theory). You can supersaturate with vinegar if you choose, though I'm not a proponent of that for my own reasons.

G.

You would be hard pressed to over kalk that tank unless it's MT of usage or you over add and spill.

I'll bet for you, Kalk will get CA close to 370 (not much higher) and run a higher ALK in the 10-12 range.

PH can be raised but doubtfull it will get to high. 8.5-6 can be OK for short periods ya know!

I also do not use and do not reccomend peeps use vinegar, except on salads or to soak pumps.

It's also pretty good to soak kids feet with atheletes foot in @ 50/50.

Garretts got more info stored in his man purse than ErikS and I have forgotten.