Lost my fish!

Mystical Lady

the only thing I have recently changed in my tank is:

took out the airstone(figured it was unneeded and made lots of bubbles-although it did look nice with the curtain of bubbles on the backside of the tank)

bought a better Skimmer....

have been raising my Calcium lately... was up to 370 yesterday.... its always been low(320-340) so I bought the 2-part stuff and been *slowing* raising ....

tested parameters yesterday, everything was inline except my PH.... 7.7 .... but it was early morning and figured I would test again later in the day and make changes then if still low (got busy and never did)

made a 5 gallon water change...

went out to eat for dinner.... checked on the tank-everything looked OK....went to bed

I got up this morning and checked the tank.... strange, I dont' see the usually 'aren't I BEAUTIFUL' yellow Tang strutting about.... found him on the backside floor of the tank.... dead.... also found my Banded Coral Shrimp upside down :( dead...

My banded pipefish and bicolor blenny are fighting for their life at the moment.... the only inhabitants that look like nothing is wrong are my clowns, scooter dragonette and yellow goby. the scooter is the only one that looks like its eating, swimming from rock to rock... I have noticed the peppermints dying lately and now have none in my tank....my corals don't look bad, they all seem to be OK...

could my dropped PH be the cause??? I put the airstone back into the tank, just in case it had something to do with the O2 in the tank....

I feel like crap.... the Tang has been with me since I got started back into SW.... the pipefish was the first purchase...

shoot!!!! what an Easter wakeup :(

If you've got a skimmer online and it's an improved one, I can't really see how the pH would swing as much as it did. Theoretically, the skimmer should oxygenate the water enough to maintain the pH, despite the presence of an airstone or not. Unless it's a major airstone, I can't see that as being the cause of the pH drop. That said, I do think your pH is your problem given the circumstances of the deaths. I would think that pH shock would be the reason, do you know what it was at before? Going from 8.1 or 8.2 to 7.7 is not that extreme, but if it happened very quickly, then it could be the reason you are losing things, especially if the swing was more than that (higher initial pH of maybe 8.4 and a drop down to below 7.7).

Wow, I'm really sorry that you lost those creatures.