OM SS VS Tunze nanostreams & controller

steveoutlaw

I'm trying to decide on the flow for my 90g. Right now I have 2 6055 nanostreams on a controller but I'm thinking about putting a OM SS compact on an eheim 1260 along with a nanostream 6045 blowing behind the rocks. Looking for someone to talk me into one or the other :biggrin: .

If I had room to deal with the plumbing of a Oceans Motion, I'd love to have one. I've only heard great things about them. I would go that route.

If you want to keep it simple, stay with the 6055s. You can't go wrong with them. I love mine. Either way, I'd use the 6045 to push flow behind the rocks.

If you plan on having a sugar-sized sandbed, rethink the OM unless the intake is very high from the sand. Anthony (anthworks) and I found out the hard way that even a few grains kicked up into the CL intake can jam the OM drum, which means draining and taking apart the CL plumbing to clean out the drum. Major PITA.

However, the random flow you get from a CL is very nice. You would need 4x6055 to get the same effect.

My old tank had a combo of a 4-way CL w/Dart with bottom jets pointed up, plus 4x6200 streams at the top. I had originally planned on only the CL plus 1 or 2 6100 streams (in a 325g) but found after 18 months of coral growth that the extra streams were necessary. So if you go with the CL, plan on adding the nanostreams down the road.

Hope this helps.

Justin

I have sugar sized sand and the intakes are up high in the tank, but I no longer have any problems with the sand. When I first added the sand it caused problems because the OM got jammed (twice!), but since then sand can get in there and not clog the drum. The sand gets a bit heavier over time and doesn't float up as much. It's more the sediment from a new sand bed that causes the problems, not established sand.

I'm actually going to have my return pump on the OM SS. I figured an eheim 1262 on the OM plus 1 or 2 nanostream 6045s would give me some good random flow. Plus, i'm not using sugar fine sand! :biggrin:

Steve,

why use the SS on your return? You are talking about a lot of flow through the sump, probably too much IMO. I use a Mag7 on my system, but I get a lot of head loss so I figure it turns the tank over about 6-7 times per hour (300ish gph). That's still a little much for me. I've got room to play though as my sump is a 100g stock tank and my display is 42g. Too much circulation and the equiment/systems in the sump won't operate efficiently as they don't have enough "contact" time. DSB, fuge, skimmer, GFO reactors, et al. You are also asking more of your overflows as well.

Maybe bump down to a smaller return pump and do a dedicated CL using the eheim.

Garrett.

I've got an OM on my return with a Gen X Mak 4 pulling through the 36 in sump with no problems.

I love the OM. I am running this on a 180. I am going to change the Mak4 and run a Dart on the OM here shortly and an Iwaki 30RXLT on the other return.

Sandy

Steve, just go with the nanostreams. If you're going to be out of town for extended periods of time, keep it as simple as possible, just in case your family has to follow directions over the phone. Trust me, you can't go wrong with the nanostreams.

Steve, just go with the nanostreams. If you're going to be out of town for extended periods of time, keep it as simple as possible, just in case your family has to follow directions over the phone. Trust me, you can't go wrong with the nanostreams.

I'm starting to think about just keeping what I have.