Difference between a pendant and a reflector

jnguyen4007

I know this might sound like an elementary question to many of you, but I've been trying to look into various brands, make and model of MH light out there. One thing I'm not sure of is what what is the difference between a reflector and a pendant? Is there a difference between a single ended and a double ended MH bulb in term of luminosity?

Pendants have reflectors inside them.

Usually when only reflectors are sold, they are for retrofit kits.

Not sure about luminosity between SE and HQI bulbs, but the latter allows for smaller fixtures.

Pendants have reflectors inside them.

Usually when only reflectors are sold, they are for retrofit kits.

Not sure about luminosity between SE and HQI bulbs, but the latter allows for smaller fixtures.

So what's retrofit? From what I could tell, both the pendant and the reflector can be hung or rest on top of the hood.

So what's retrofit? From what I could tell, both the pendant and the reflector can be hung or rest on top of the hood.

In that case, they are talking about the same thing and there is no difference.

Have a link to the product?

(edited)

A retro kit consists of a ballast, socket, reflector, switch, electrical plug chord & bulb which have to be put together by you. A pendant is all put together for you into one unit. The retro kit will be the cheapest way to go, as long as you can build some kind of box to put it in and then follow the directions & put it all together. There are plans on the internet that tell you how to do it. I built my own at about half the cost of the pendant. As far as the difference between the single ended and the double ended bulbs go, the double ended are made in Germany, where the old world still believes they are the best. The difference between them, in my opion, is not that great for the additional cost of the double ended bulbs.

Edited by Highland Reefer