Monster in my tank!!!

Mystical Lady

I bought this from Mr Coral today... its a beautiful greenish color in the middle and just a weird looking coral.... I LOVE it but can't remember what Mr coral called it :(

anyway, Pic1 is it sitting, nice a quiet like.... peaceful....I had NO IDEA what was about to happen...

I fed my tank and inhabitants..... went back to check on everything and turn the pumps/filters back on and WHOA!! this coral looks like something from a Horror flick....! all puffed up and mouths gaping open... the huge middle mouth looks like it has teeth....LOL.....

What a wonderful surprise with this beautiful coral.... although now I think I am going to count my fingers everytime I take my hand outta my tank :bluefish:

enjoy the pics.... I just wish I could tell ya what the coral name is :(

Jan

gallery_1075_345_22003.jpg

gallery_1075_345_25518.jpg

really a neat looking piece that's a softie right?

sps.... I think.... but with BIG teeth...........lol

Pectinia is the genus and yes it is an SPS. It is considered by most to be a difficult specimen, but I find them relatively hardy once acclimated. Feeding the tank something like DT's is required for good health.

An ideal condition is of course pristine water conditions but unlike many SPS corals the lighting cannot be that intense, PC's, T5's or VHO's seem to bring out its best appearance. If the tank is illuminated with MH's be sure to place your new specimen in the lower (mid to lower) areas of the tank and not directly under the bulb. Flow is another tricky portion for this coral. Too much flow will tear its thin fleshy tissue and may even break the delicate skeleton. Too little flow will allow excess mucus to build and suffocate your new prize. As with any reef tank the flow should be alternating, so to recap; moderate lighting and flow with regular feeding of phytoplankton will keep this one beautiful specimen.

Best of Luck...

Thanks for the suggestions, but the phytoplankton I wonder about.... this thing is eating Brine Shrimp like its candy.... In fact, the mouths seem to fight over them....I have it mid-tank under the brace for the tank, so it isn't getting full light(T5).... it seems happy and reminds me of that man-eating plant I saw on a movie once (Little Shop of Horrors).

This coral is quickly turning out to be one of my favorites...

Jan

Pectinia is the genus and yes it is an SPS. It is considered by most to be a difficult specimen, but I find them relatively hardy once acclimated. Feeding the tank something like DT's is required for good health.

An ideal condition is of course pristine water conditions but unlike many SPS corals the lighting cannot be that intense, PC's, T5's or VHO's seem to bring out its best appearance. If the tank is illuminated with MH's be sure to place your new specimen in the lower (mid to lower) areas of the tank and not directly under the bulb. Flow is another tricky portion for this coral. Too much flow will tear its thin fleshy tissue and may even break the delicate skeleton. Too little flow will allow excess mucus to build and suffocate your new prize. As with any reef tank the flow should be alternating, so to recap; moderate lighting and flow with regular feeding of phytoplankton will keep this one beautiful specimen.

Best of Luck...

Thanks for the suggestions, but the phytoplankton I wonder about.... this thing is eating Brine Shrimp like its candy

This coral is quickly turning out to be one of my favorites...

True it can handle some zooplankton such as brine, however it does need smaller foods. Look at the coral with a flashlight well after the room is dark and you'll see many more smaller feeding tentacles delivering to the mouth. Their digestive tract is much like many BTA's; even if large enough to eat a full size silverside it should be cut into smaller sizes. Phytoplankton is a definite plus to any reef tank regardless of the corals kept; the tiny creatures in and around the live rock and substrate will benefit as well.

Pectinia is one of my favorites as well, so I easily see your appeal towards it. My last specimen was a blueish grey with bright blue streaks like found on 1st grade crocea clams. I really felt bad leaving it behind when I moved even though it went to a great hobbyist.

I have a pectinia too. I keep it in the back corner of my small tank, where it gets very little light. I don't feed it directly but it snags food when I broadcast feed at night. Mine is very deep green and healthy, growing new mouths around its edges. I believe the key is very little light and reasonable flow. Mine is below and to the side of a nanostream, so it gets the flow resulting from the intake to that pump.

I went and saw his, great looking coral, but well out of the way of any direct light, and medium-ish flow. Looked freakin sweet