125 AGA Tank Lighting/Sump/Refugium Questions

bph

Hello all,

I got a 125 gallon AGA tank for x-mas :bb: and have been SLOWLY purchasing things to set it up. I expect to have it up and running sometime this summer :cry: , but was wondering about light fixtures. I am planning on doing my homework prior to purchasing anything, but wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on where to start looking? 72" long... do I need to get one 72" long fixture or will a few fixtures work?

I am also still trying to figure out which type of coral/fish combo I want, but I only want to purchase the lighting fixture once, so want to make sure that it is the best possible for anything (coral-wise) I finally decide to place into the tank...

I am also looking at a sump/refugium and have been toying with the idea of getting Marc from melevsreef.com to make one... but the shipping & handling is a little high, but I will do it if this would be the best option. Are there local people that can make sump/refugiums?

At BRK, they say that they would only recommend Deltec for skimmers (that's what they use at their store and at home), so I am waiting on the dough for one of those...

I already have a 26gallon reef up and running. Been at it for about 9 months now. Love it! X-mas came around and Wally's was having that Aquarium sale so I bought the new tank. Now it is just sitting there big and empty. I am itching to get working on this guy, but know I have to take my time.... :)

Anyways... thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Brian

Skip Deltec and talk to Dan (Dandy7200) or visit www.greyseasaquatics.com and get a skimmer from him. Much cheaper, as good if not better quality. He can also build you a sump/fuge or talk to NAGA - he can also build sumps. Look at either MH or T5 lighting. all-in-one fixture or retrofit kit is up to you. luminarc makes the best reflectors but you'll have to figure out how to mount them yourself.

Deltec & GSA skimmers are highly regarded. You will probably do very well with either. Your equipment selections will depend heavily on how you sctructure your setup. Did you get a canopy and stand with your tank, or are you building your own? When I started in the hobby, I was strapped for cash and had to build my own stand. because of that I decided to buy a metal halide retrofit light kit and setup my own fixture. this is the best route in my opinion as you get the power of metal halides at a reduced cost. The pre-built fixtures tend to be very expensive. If you only want to buy your lights once, I recommend metal halide. Be mindful of heat issues with MH lights, they tend to be very hot. You may be forced into a chiller if you have insufficient ventilation.

Skip Deltec and talk to Dan (Dandy7200) or visit www.greyseasaquatics.com and get a skimmer from him. Much cheaper, as good if not better quality. He can also build you a sump/fuge or talk to NAGA - he can also build sumps. Look at either MH or T5 lighting. all-in-one fixture or retrofit kit is up to you. luminarc makes the best reflectors but you'll have to figure out how to mount them yourself.

Thanks for the info! I PMed Dandy7200 with my current stand specs and will wait his response!

Deltec & GSA skimmers are highly regarded. You will probably do very well with either. Your equipment selections will depend heavily on how you sctructure your setup. Did you get a canopy and stand with your tank, or are you building your own? When I started in the hobby, I was strapped for cash and had to build my own stand. because of that I decided to buy a metal halide retrofit light kit and setup my own fixture. this is the best route in my opinion as you get the power of metal halides at a reduced cost. The pre-built fixtures tend to be very expensive. If you only want to buy your lights once, I recommend metal halide. Be mindful of heat issues with MH lights, they tend to be very hot. You may be forced into a chiller if you have insufficient ventilation.

When I bought the 125, I went ahead and got the stand to go with it. I did not get a canopy. As to being strapped for cash. Yup :( One reason why it is taking me sooooo long to get even water in the dang thing! I have had it since December and it hasn't seen a drop of water yet. I still need the sump/refugium/skimmer and plumbing before doing the water. I haven't even bought all the plumbing for my durso stand yet. Just the 1" return pipe and 1.25" drain pipe.

I second a GSA skimmer. Dan was super easy to work with. I bought his Shorty, but now I might be going the same route as you with a 125G :(

Back to lighting since I am in the same boat.

I bought two 250W MH Pendants for my 75G and plan to use them over the 125G. Do I get one more or two more? Or maybe set the two 250W on the sides and a 400W in the center?

My plan is to build a canopy and put in 4x96 PC retro for actinics. (Thanks BigJPDC)

If you would like to come by sometime I can show you my setup. I am currently running a grey seas skimmer, Kalk reactor and media reactor and my sump was made by Jeff(NAGA). I have been very happy with each one of my purchasses and wouldn't change a thing as far as my equipment goes.

If you would like to come by sometime I can show you my setup. I am currently running a grey seas skimmer, Kalk reactor and media reactor and my sump was made by Jeff(NAGA). I have been very happy with each one of my purchasses and wouldn't change a thing as far as my equipment goes.

I would love to take you up on your offer sometime. It is always good to see how others set things up. Do you also have a 125G?

Thanks,

Brian

Back to lighting since I am in the same boat.

I bought two 250W MH Pendants for my 75G and plan to use them over the 125G. Do I get one more or two more? Or maybe set the two 250W on the sides and a 400W in the center?

My plan is to build a canopy and put in 4x96 PC retro for actinics. (Thanks BigJPDC)

You need to check out Sanjay's reviews and look at the light spread and PAR ratings from the pendants you purchased. Luminarc mini's light a 2'x2' area - so in this case you would want 3. Everything depends on what pendant you purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

What size sump would you guys recommend for a 125G?

Magnetic1, you ever find an answer to this? I was out of town for a while and just got back. I am still in the market to buy a new house, so am on hold on setting this tank up, but want all details I can get for when I am ready to start putting it in its final location.

Magnetic1, you ever find an answer to this? I was out of town for a while and just got back. I am still in the market to buy a new house, so am on hold on setting this tank up, but want all details I can get for when I am ready to start putting it in its final location.

I read anywhere between 20-40G. I ended up getting a used 20G one from a member on here that was moving. It is almost all hooked up. Ran plumbing through the wall over the weekend. Drains are pretty much done, just need to find time to meet up w/ discordja to grab his SCWD.

Get the largest sump that you can fit inside your stand.