Sick/dying coral

toastiireefs

i just got this coral in a frag swap for valentines

and it was understandibly closed yesterday, but they continued to recede and now the tips of it are coming off and is "leaking" brownish stuff

i drip acclimated for 3hrs and all other corals including, soft/sps/lps are doing fine.

i will take a picture in a second

is there anything i can do... or just wait and see what happens?

*sigh* darn

so would you say it was my fault for drip acclimating after shipping?

which i was just told not the best?

darndarndarn

No... that doesn't happen that quickly... usually it's a result of prolonged stress over a period of time.

Dave

You can always try an iodine bath, but that may just get it to die quicker. It's worth a shot, though, if you can get the brown jelly out and let the healthy flesh recover through the removal of the bacteria or protozoa that is affecting it, you might get a bit of healthy flesh that will recover. Doubtful, but why not give it a shot.

If that is only a few hours after acclimation I would say the person you swapped with pulled a fast one on you. From my experience (which is limited) it would take quite a lot of abuse for a coral to look like that. While drip acclimating isn't ideal for alot of corals it wouldn't make them look like that.

Wow that coral is beat up Sadly I had one like that it end up dieing... but I bought it knowing full well it was hurting badly on the plus side you get a nice piece of live rock:( sorry bad joke anyway how did you transport it was it in a bag or container anyway hope it recoveres ...

yup its gone. pretty much 0 flesh this morning

so strange

the persons also sent me some beautiful AOG (which are doing great) and another zoa which hasnt opened yet but doesnt look bad

and im pretty sure of the person who sent it is pretty reputable.. huh

Edited by toastiireefs

That has nothing to do with the person you got it from or you for that matter.

Like Dave said, that's called brown jelly and is often the result of stress induced bacteria.

It likely would have happened to me or anyone else that got that hammer/frogspawn.

That has nothing to do with the person you got it from or you for that matter.

Like Dave said, that's called brown jelly and is often the result of stress induced bacteria.

It likely would have happened to me or anyone else that got that hammer/frogspawn.

so should i take out the coral?

might be stupid quetion.. but can it spread...