What Not to Do

lancer99

Don't assume that that last chamber before the outflow on a CPR Aquafuge is meant to hold media.

I put some GFO in a media bag in there, then went upstairs to see what was happening on RC.

About 15 minutes later, smelled something suspicious......and found that the output was blocked, water all over the floor, and all over my power strips (despite them having drip loops).

Unplugged everything, identified which things absolutely needed to be powered (water circulation & heat), and went to 7-11 to buy a replacement power strip.

On the way to my car, slipped on the grass (not my front steps, they were clear) and hurt my elbow.

Came back, plugged in the powerheads heaters etc. and decided I should check on my basement tanks.

Slipped on the tiles and fell on my *ss, hurting my knee, and now I can barely walk...just in that short amount of time, the water had dripped down into the basement.

So I guess the moral of the story is...don't block your Aquafuge's output.

-R

Did the "block the return" bit in my refugium when floating a new purchase....fortunately, I was there and it's in an unfinished basement. I promptly put a long coarse conical mesh screen to prevent this from occurring accidentally again!

Sorry about your other "accidents"! :why:

I've kept media in there practically since I've had it. I have an older model though, where the return pipe goes almost all the way to the bottom of the chamber.

Sounds like you had a really rotten day! Be careful on that ice outside!!!

Tracy