Hydor Koralia stopped working

rsarvis

When a powerhead stops working, is it too dangerous to try to fix it if that requires opening up the internals to see what's wrong? Don't want to electrocute myself in the future. (See my other post today...)

I cleaned it out, so it's not stuck on something externally. As best I can tell, it's something internal or electrical, but I'm not expert.

Any suggestions?

When a powerhead stops working, is it too dangerous to try to fix it if that requires opening up the internals to see what's wrong? Don't want to electrocute myself in the future. (See my other post today...)

I cleaned it out, so it's not stuck on something externally. As best I can tell, it's something internal or electrical, but I'm not expert.

Any suggestions?

you can't even feel a "hum" when you plug it in?

no hum, no anything

you can't even feel a "hum" when you plug it in?

no hum, no anything

Well, certainly sounds like the motor's shot. I wouldn't advise opening it up, but I have no experience with powerheads. At the minimum, you'll have to seal it back very well.

I'd call Hydor about it not working, and see what they'll do about it.

I could be wrong but if you aren't hearing a hum, it's probably an electrical issue inside the power head. There isn't really a motor to "look at" as the entire thing is a motor. The power head is basically a motor where windings/coils and stuff are hermetically sealed and isolated from the shaft (the impeller). If you've ever opened up a motor, aside from the shaft, you'll find a block of metal with thin wires wrapped around it. For $25 or whatever, it's not worth messing with the windings. It's like reloading a VHS/audio tape once it comes off the spool...

mine stops every few months due to calcium buildup on the impeller shaft. I have to take the impeller off the shaft and sand down the calcium. Sometimes it takes pliers to remove the impeller.

Try spinning the impeller with your finger once it is plugged in. They can be "sticky" sometimes, and are very quiet. It happened to one of mine and there was no hum or anything. But, I forced the blade with my finger and it's been spinning ever since.

Tracy

I tried that, but no luck. I think it's fried.

Try spinning the impeller with your finger once it is plugged in. They can be "sticky" sometimes, and are very quiet. It happened to one of mine and there was no hum or anything. But, I forced the blade with my finger and it's been spinning ever since.

Tracy

i had two hydor 4's pop on me, i had no issue getting the approval to send them bakc, just havent had the time to do so yet.

just mail them back and get new ones, nothing to see in the epoxy coated motor.