Chiller repair/mod?

DaveS

I have an Aqua Medic 1/2 HP external chiller. For those who are unfamiliar with this unit, here's a picture: http://www.seatrademarine.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=CHL

The lower 2" of the chiller is essentially a "pan" (think 2" tall broiler pan) on top of which all the chiller machinery is fastened/welded. The side of the pan as 2 bulkheads for water to go in/out. The refrigerant coils route from the top, down into the pan and this is where the heat exchange occurs. Think of a bucket of water with bulkheads and a drop in chiller mounted on top of it.

Here's the point- the seams where the lower pan and the upper lid join has leaks. Placed after the return pump, water leaks heavily out of the sides. Placed before the return it still leaks but less due to less pressure.

Aqua-Medic says there basically isn't anything they can do about it so buy a new unit. All the refrigeration and chilling components including the internal controller/thermostat work fine. These things cost about $900 new.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience repurposing these things. Part of me wonders if you could take the coils that are in the pan and somehow replace/extend them so this thing converts into a drop-in chiller. That's the best idea I could come up with. With all the great DIY skills I've seen here, I gotta believe there is a way to salvage this expensive 1/2HP chiller. Ideas??

I have an Aqua Medic 1/2 HP external chiller. For those who are unfamiliar with this unit, here's a picture: http://www.seatrademarine.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=CHL

The lower 2" of the chiller is essentially a "pan" (think 2" tall broiler pan) on top of which all the chiller machinery is fastened/welded. The side of the pan as 2 bulkheads for water to go in/out. The refrigerant coils route from the top, down into the pan and this is where the heat exchange occurs. Think of a bucket of water with bulkheads and a drop in chiller mounted on top of it.

Here's the point- the seams where the lower pan and the upper lid join has leaks. Placed after the return pump, water leaks heavily out of the sides. Placed before the return it still leaks but less due to less pressure.

Aqua-Medic says there basically isn't anything they can do about it so buy a new unit. All the refrigeration and chilling components including the internal controller/thermostat work fine. These things cost about $900 new.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience repurposing these things. Part of me wonders if you could take the coils that are in the pan and somehow replace/extend them so this thing converts into a drop-in chiller. That's the best idea I could come up with. With all the great DIY skills I've seen here, I gotta believe there is a way to salvage this expensive 1/2HP chiller. Ideas??

You should definitely be able to take it apart, move the compressor and chiller coils and build a new enclosure. I'd have to look at the internals but it looks like a plastic case so I'm betting a vented acrylic enclosure of some sort would do it.

You should definitely be able to take it apart, move the compressor and chiller coils and build a new enclosure. I'd have to look at the internals but it looks like a plastic case so I'm betting a vented acrylic enclosure of some sort would do it.

Hmm, maybe! The problem with the original design is that the pan is supposed to withstand water pressure. Basically it seems like they took a pan and crimped something over it to form the enclosure. Problem is that it's a very weak design form something that is supposed to handle 1500GPH or more. The thing springs leaks and the chiller is done.

So like you said, I'd either need to build a new pressure-proof enclosure or convert it to a drop in. Either way, the replacing/extending/moving of coils seems like the tricky part to me. Any hints/tips on how to do that? I assume we'll loose the refrigerant during the process but can fix they with a recharge.

I really haven't taken one apart so I'm not sure about tips or tricks. I really wouldn't think you'd lose the refrigerant either, just move the entire compressor and closed coolant system as a single unit. If you break any of the lines and start losing the refrigerant then you'll have to deal with patching the cracked portion.

Sounds like the system is basically a self-enclosed drop-in unit since the water runs free in the pan. The picture I have in my head, which may not be correct, is to talk to NAGA about building a box with a horizontal baffle - water inlet and outlet underneath the baffle, compressor above. Lower portion fully contained and made to withstand the pressure. Probably a 2" bulkhead inlet and outlet. I'm not sure what the heat exchanger portion of the chiller looks like so it's hard to guess exactly how it would go together.

Hmm, maybe! The problem with the original design is that the pan is supposed to withstand water pressure. Basically it seems like they took a pan and crimped something over it to form the enclosure. Problem is that it's a very weak design form something that is supposed to handle 1500GPH or more. The thing springs leaks and the chiller is done.

So like you said, I'd either need to build a new pressure-proof enclosure or convert it to a drop in. Either way, the replacing/extending/moving of coils seems like the tricky part to me. Any hints/tips on how to do that? I assume we'll loose the refrigerant during the process but can fix they with a recharge.