Care for Porites w/ xmas tree worms

Guest BSJF

Guest BSJF

I picked up a nice porites rock with 16-18 xmas tree worms, I have the rock low in a BC29 directly under a 150w metal halide. I'm feeding the phyto to the tank, but i'm unsure about target feeding the porites - it seems that my feeding is not dense enough to do anything positive. The flow is good on one side and I'm getting very good polyp extension but it's shaded by itself in others and i'm getting almost nothing out of these areas. I'm very new to SPS type corals so any good info or links on specific care for these guys would be nice.

Thanks!

Edited by BSJF

I can't answer your question but would love to see pics of the xmas tree worms!

I wouldn't worry too much about the Porites shading itself...IME that doesn't make any difference. And even if it loses some polyps, they are very quickly regenerated.

As for target feeding the worms, keep in mind that they actually take in food from the bottom, not the top. So flow from the side is probably the best.

I've had a problem with hermits picking at the worms, and lost a couple, so mine is currently sitting on top of an inverted plastic container that the hermits can't climb up on.

Here's mine: med_gallery_2631295_269_29713.jpg

HTH,

-R

Guest BSJF

The coral is looking nice after a couple short days under the halide, the browns are giving way to fluorescing greens, and all the worms are still there dispite the gigantic hermit that at the end of this email will be evicted. I appreciate the info, sometime soon I'll join up too. I have to apologize that i can't take pictures because I lack a camera, one was supposed to be mailed to me some time ago but nevermind that.

Edited by BSJF