Food Mixtures

davelin315

While cleaning out a cabinet I came across multiple containers of Alum powder, used in cooking, that I used to make play dough when I was teaching 2nd grade. I know that it is used to create jellied foods, but I am not sure if it's safe for a marine aquarium. It's obviously food grade, but since it's made of aluminum among other things, I am trying to figure out if I can use it to gel foods together that I blend. Here's a link to the actual product: http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6408

I was hoping someone with some chemical expertise could chime in here. Obviously since agar is made from red sea weed it is preferable, but since I have all of this stuff, I thought I'd ask.

Why would you want to jel it? So you wouldn't freeze it? How long would it keep?

Dave

I would freeze it, but the alum would hopefully hold the mixture together in clumps so that the fish could eat the whole thing rather than have it all fall apart when it is added to the tank and thaws.

Hmmm I've never really found that to be much of an issue (but maybe you grind your food more than I do)

Dave

the reason agar works is that it can be frozen without breaking down. Ever freeze jello? If you did, you would find it breaks down, not that collagen is a real good thing to be feeding your fish. never used alum, but I wouldn't start, agar is cheap and I don't know if it alum breaks down in the freezer or not..

Edited by dandy7200

If you're interested. ALUM is hydrated aluminum potassium sulfate: KAl(SO4)2.12H2O

Potassium Alum is the common alum of commerce. They are soluble in water; have an astringent, acid, and sweetish taste; react acid to litmus. When heated they liquefy; and if the heating is continued, the water of crystallization is driven off, the salt froths and swells, and at last an amorphous powder remains.

Unless you're a chemist, I'd stick with the seaweed :biggrin:

The gentleman that initially helped me get my tank set up feeds his fish with jellied fish food that he makes. He says it's much better and doesn't cause so much waste or deteriorate the water quality as quickly since there is no "dust" when feeding. He freezes the cubes for storage. . .