new rabbitfish

modelrr

I just picked up an orange spot rabbitfish (now in my tank -- lights off) this afternoon, but my powder blue tang is being very aggressive towards it. Any advice on what to do?

If I end up having to get rid of the fish (hopefully not :( ) you can have it.

By the way I just installed the skimmer today and it's working beautifully!

I'm much closer than Dan, plus, he's going to have his hands full very soon!

If you don't like either Dan's or my solution, the Powder Blue is an aggressive fish for a conspecific, which the rabbit fish is not, but it's close enough for it to take notice. I would be careful of what you do. A healthy powder blue is hard to come by and they are easily set off by changes. You might consider changing the aquascaping a bit so that they are able to stake out new claims, or, just watch and see what happens. The rabbit fish is also a delicate fish so you'll want to make sure that you watch them both very carefully. You could also plunge the tank into complete darkness by throwing a sheet over the whole thing. That will get them all to relax a bit. Chances are, it'll settle down after they have established the pecking order, what I would watch out for is the result of the aggression - illness or injury to two delicate fish. If you make it through those, you'll be fine.

thanks for the advice. I'll keep the lights off until tomorrow, see what happens .. If the aggression doesn't die down I'll try rearranging the rockwork. If neither works, it looks like I'll be getting rid of the rabbitfish.

I lost my orange-spot rabbitfish. I'm also looking for one :)

The powder-blue is a very aggressive fish, orange-spot is not. You generally would not introduce the rabbitfish after the powder blue. since you have, follow dave's advice to do complete darkness and/or rearrange the rockwork. another option is to remove the powder blue for a few weeks and allow the rabbitfish to establish himself, then reintroduce the powder blue. i'm looking for both of these fish esp if the powder blue is small. LMK if you need to unload one.

~Brian

I was kind of kidding. I am looking for one but, that means I have done several weeks worth of research on them. They are pretty passive and likely wont fight the PBT back, there needs to be some submission in order for it to work in your tank. They are pure omnivores and so they will be competing for the same food as your PBT. I would try and get your PBT eating as much mysis or other meaty food as you can and offer formula2 or nori in the other end of the tank where the rabbit is.

FWIW, this fish will likely get 16" or more, I was contemplating if my tank was sufficient for long term housing of this species.

Dan has some good advice about the feeding. If you can get it eating without being attacked, you have a much better chance. One thing you want to be careful of is if it simply goes into hiding. It may never come out and you'll never know if it has survived or not. Let me know if you need someone to sit one of your fish while you decide. I've got plenty of room in my system and could watch one for you while you reacclimate.

Dan - we know you were kidding! You're one of the most helpful guys out there and everybody knows you're stand up! Now that Brian Ward character... ;) just kidding! Timothy, you've got a lot of very knowledgeable, helpful, and stand up people willing to help you out so that you can be successful. I would try to acclimate and then if it doesn't work out, or if you start seeing real damage, then pull it and reassess your situation. Dan's bit of info that it reaches 16" is something to consider as well, but it also means that if it can compete, it'll outgrow that PBT.

Guest Evelyn

Did you happen to buy that rabbitfish at Marine Scene?

We just sold them our orange spotted rabbitfish a couple weeks ago...

If I end up having to get rid of the fish (hopefully not :( ) you can have it.

By the way I just installed the skimmer today and it's working beautifully!

There's your problem... the improved water quality has made your PBT realize what a valuable piece of real estate it inhabits, and it just doesn't want to give up a cubic inch of it!

bob

There's your problem... the improved water quality has made your PBT realize what a valuable piece of real estate it inhabits, and it just doesn't want to give up a cubic inch of it!

bob

:clap:

Did you happen to buy that rabbitfish at Marine Scene?

We just sold them our orange spotted rabbitfish a couple weeks ago...

Yes I did .. it's four or five inches long I think. There was also a much smaller one, but they both cost the same.....

the aggression has died down quite a bit this morning. The tang still charges at the rabbitfish every once and a while, but far less than before. Both are eating like pigs :biggrin:

Guest Evelyn

Yes I did .. it's four or five inches long I think. There was also a much smaller one, but they both cost the same.....

the aggression has died down quite a bit this morning. The tang still charges at the rabbitfish every once and a while, but far less than before. Both are eating like pigs :biggrin:

That's interesting...that was our rabbitfish...

Well, when he was in our tank, he killed our Kole Tang with his dorsal fins (first attempt the Kole recovered, second time he didn't recover).

Then, he ate our sponge...then he also killed the angel we were fish sitting.

You are on point with his appetite, that boy could eat.

That's funny how he's being charged at now...kinda ironic.

But he did get along with our blue hippo tang who was about half his size and also the mated pair of maroon clowns and the mated pair of true percs.

Best of luck...he is a beautiful fish, just a bit much for our little 72gal tank.

-Evelyn

I thought rabbitfish were peaceful! If it's going to be a threat to any of the other fish, I'll definitely be getting rid of it.

I thought rabbitfish were peaceful! If it's going to be a threat to any of the other fish, I'll definitely be getting rid of it.

I doubt the rabbitfish was the aggressor. Mine would tilt and flair his spines at my angel whenever the angel would try to attack. Blue hippos are extremely passive, probably why they got along.

That's interesting...that was our rabbitfish...

Well, when he was in our tank, he killed our Kole Tang with his dorsal fins (first attempt the Kole recovered, second time he didn't recover).

Then, he ate our sponge...then he also killed the angel we were fish sitting.

You are on point with his appetite, that boy could eat.

That's funny how he's being charged at now...kinda ironic.

But he did get along with our blue hippo tang who was about half his size and also the mated pair of maroon clowns and the mated pair of true percs.

Best of luck...he is a beautiful fish, just a bit much for our little 72gal tank.

-Evelyn

Ate your sponge? I don't suppose it was those nasty blue-grey sponges... :)

bob

Guest Evelyn

Ate your sponge? I don't suppose it was those nasty blue-grey sponges... :)

bob

Actually, it was an orange sponge...we knew it was the rabbitfish bc his poopie was orange...lol!