Lights for a 92 gallon bow front

Connor

the tank is 48 wide 27 high and 13-18 deep. This is what i was looking at for lights. (im a bit of a noob at light knowledge)

PFO 250 Watt Dual HQI Metal Halide Ballast

2X Lumenarc III Metal Halide Reflector

2X 250W XM 15,000K

Thanks,

Connor

PS. would i be able to keep acros and montis with this lighting set up

no its a bowfront tank, and it does have a canopy.

Connor

Now I'm really confused. You mean its not a "corner" tank, but it is a bowfront. I didn't realize that the bowfront was also 92gallons. If thats the case, then any 48" light will do. Where is the tank going? Unless its someplace cool, like in the basement, you're probably going to have heat issues with 2 halides over the tank. If you don't want to have to use a chiller, I would go with a T5 unit. You can also use a big fan to cool the water, but then you'll have alot of evaporation to replace. I don't know what kind of a budget you're working with, but I know plenty of member who have seem good results with this light: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12772

no brent i already bought it its in my basement. I got the tank, stand, canopy, sump, overflow, and some live sand all for only..........300$. :clap:

Connor

I think that the Lumenarc IIIs will not give you good coverage based on the bow front spacing. I don't remember what the measurements are offhand, but I think they are 19"x19" and since your system is only 18" at the deepest point, they would shed a lot of light outside of the tank and defeat the purpose. Check into the minis to see what their coverage area is or go with a light fixture instead.

updated light ideas.

PFO HQI 250 Watt Metal Halide Mini Pendant (Double-Ended)

250 Watt 15000K Metal Halide Bulb - XM, Double-Ended

let me know what you think,

Connor

Connor, IMO don't go with the XMs. You may want to think about the Phoenix lamp. It has a similar spectral plot, but puts out about 89% more par.

Garrett.

FWIW I'm not aware of anyone using DE XM 15k lamps.

Connor, IMO don't go with the XMs. You may want to think about the Phoenix lamp. It has a similar spectral plot, but puts out about 89% more par.

Garrett.

FWIW I'm not aware of anyone using DE XM 15k lamps.

Haha. You beat me to it. Premiumaquatics.com told me that the number one bulb that they have had returned on them is the 15K XM. I was told that they are going to stop carrying it pretty soon because of all the negative feedback those bulbs have received. I also agree with the Phoenix 14K. If I had a DE system, that would be my bulb of choice. I'm still looking for a SE bulb that resembles the Phoenix 14K.

Edited by jamesbuf

that sounds good to me its getter and its cheaper. :biggrin:

also what would be your guys opinion on buying lights used or new, i know if i buy it new i will get a warranty but used i could get lights that are still in very good condition for a lot cheaper.

Thanks,

Connor

I generally look for used... mostly because I teach and net like $17.00 a year. Really gotta stretch that out. Comes out to like .05 per diem. Sweet.

In all seriousness, I think I have a box of used 250W DE lamps laying around if you want to use them for color comparison. They are all used and probably don't have much if any life left on them, but they should suffice for comparison's sake.

wait gastone im confused i googled phoenix lamps but couldn't find anything i thought they were just bulbs?

updated list.

250 Watt 14000K Metal Halide Bulb - Phoenix, Double-Ended

PFO HQI 250 Watt Metal Halide Mini Pendant (Double-Ended)