Salt mix

stratos21ss

Will you get differing CA/Mg/KH_Alk readings if you only use portions of salt mix out of a big 5g bucket? How do you know if it is not chemically stratified in the bucket? Is there a way of doing this correctly? Getting set to mix up my first batch.

Thanks,

_Matt

Will you get differing CA/Mg/KH_Alk readings if you only use portions of salt mix out of a big 5g bucket? How do you know if it is not chemically stratified in the bucket? Is there a way of doing this correctly? Getting set to mix up my first batch.

Thanks,

_Matt

I don't think it matters that much whether you get a portion or a whole buck if you get all the salt dissolved in the water. I usually mix in the 5g bucket for ease of salt measurement and then take one gallon into the office nano tank weekly to change its water out. The rainbow, echino acan seems to be happy, no issue.

KLee

I've never heard of a case where the mix had stratified, but others have voiced the same concern. One recommendations I've seen before has been to shake the mix well before using it. Another school of thought I've seen is that it is better to mix the whole container at once and then save any water you don't use for your next water change. In my opinion, you'll be fine just using however much you need and sealing the bucket back up until the next time.

Ok sounds cool..I won't worry about it. I agree though that the way around it would be to buy a bag that fits the amount of water you plan on making so you could use all of its contents.

It would take some experimentation to test if CA/Mg/KH_Alk differ when you just scoop out a portion from a big bucket as compared to using it all at once. Maybe some other time I can test that theory, but I doubt I will ever make 160g at once.

Thanks for the info..

Ok sounds cool..I won't worry about it. I agree though that the way around it would be to buy a bag that fits the amount of water you plan on making so you could use all of its contents.

It would take some experimentation to test if CA/Mg/KH_Alk differ when you just scoop out a portion from a big bucket as compared to using it all at once. Maybe some other time I can test that theory, but I doubt I will ever make 160g at once.

Thanks for the info..

I think this is overkill and give your more worry than it really is. A 5 gallon of RO/DI water with 2 cups of salt should be good to go. I use Tropic Marin pro salt. Will be changing to IO salt in next batch.

Lee

Guest 120 Gallons

I am switching to Red Sea Pro salt based on what I've read about it. Anyone used it here care to comment on their results with it?

I have used Red Sea salt before. Most of my levels were the same as they were when I was using IO salt. The corals all seemed to look the same. I decided to stick with IO because I could get the buckets which are better than using the bagsor those jugs. Most of the time, the diferences in salt mixes are minimal.

• 4 weeks later...

Another quick question on salt mix:

background info

I've been using IO with RO water and mixing them for about 1 hr before putting them in a 5 gallon container for storage. I usually pull the container out everyday and do 1 gallon water change everyday. I have notice that everytime I have added the saltwater in the main tank it's cloudy saltwater. Quesiton is why is it cloudy? Is it because I didn't let the power head mix the water and salt long enough? Or is it because the saltwater is sitting in a container? Anything I can do to prevent it?

After I mix my saltwater mix and let it set for a day, I run tests on the PH, KH & Calcium levels. The results are always pretty much the same, whether I use the whole bucket or just a protion,I have to add extra buffer to get the KH & PH right and I have to add extra calcium to get it to the right levels. I am using RO water and Reef Crystals.

Another quick question on salt mix:

background info

I've been using IO with RO water and mixing them for about 1 hr before putting them in a 5 gallon container for storage. I usually pull the container out everyday and do 1 gallon water change everyday. I have notice that everytime I have added the saltwater in the main tank it's cloudy saltwater. Quesiton is why is it cloudy? Is it because I didn't let the power head mix the water and salt long enough? Or is it because the saltwater is sitting in a container? Anything I can do to prevent it?

hmmm... I've never had my salt mix go in cloudy. How closely does the pH match? Is it similar to the cloud you get when adding an alkalinity supplement? I usually mix my salt for at least 4 or 5 hrs and I found that IO took a while to fully dissolve. You might consider mixing for another hour after it's been sitting and before you pour the new water into the tank.

Hey Brian,

It isn't as cloudy as when u add the alk supplement but still noticeably cloudy. I use marine buffer to get the ph to 8.2. I am thinking that the cuase of the cloud is because i am not mixing the water long enough or could it be becuase its sitting in a closet for a couple of days? The water is usually about 50 degrees is that consider too cold?

Hey Brian,

It isn't as cloudy as when u add the alk supplement but still noticeably cloudy. I use marine buffer to get the ph to 8.2. I am thinking that the cuase of the cloud is because i am not mixing the water long enough or could it be becuase its sitting in a closet for a couple of days? The water is usually about 50 degrees is that consider too cold?

at 50 deg. some of the salt may precipitate out since it would dissolve easier at higher temperatures. though I cannot say for sure. it would likely depend on how well dissolved the salt was to start with. you also should not need to buffer the water to get the pH up. this likely indicates the water is not sufficiently oxygenated. most people mix overnight not because it takes that long for the salt to dissolve but to allow the water to oxygenate. Before you add to the tank it should match the existing pH, temp, and salinity of your tank. remember, stability is key. while fish can more easily withstand the swings your corals cannot.