ATO for tanks without a sump

steveoutlaw

I've got a nano set up and I'm looking for pics of those who have ATOs set up on a tank with no sump. Specifically, I'm looking for pics of how the float valve is secured to the tank.

I am all about the ATO. Here's what I have on my 20L - drilled and used a nylon screw to attach the float switch bracket and fed the water line through gutterguard on the AC70.

IMGP2199.jpg

I have since hacked the bracket back so that it is flush with the AC70.

On the crappy 10g I used to have, I just attached that same bracket to the hood. You can see it's just held in place by the light rack.

IMGP0438.jpg

HTH,

jp

I got my topoff device from Autotopoff.com. On their front page you can see a picture of my setup. Contact them and they may sell you the mount. You can get custom ones at longer lengths too.

However, this is really a piece of plastic, little more than an 1/8" thick that has been heated to create the bend which hangs on the side of the tank. I have one of my floats mounted inside of two pvc caps (snail guard) with small holes to allow water in. The other has a small L bracket of the same material the mount is made of that the cutoff float is secured to. These are then attached to the mount with zip ties. The mount has two rows of holes drilled down its length, so that you may mount the float at the desired level. The pictures at the web site show it all.

Wow $39 and it's attached with zip ties? I wonder if they take the time to rub off the price tags from Home Depot on those parts too.

Wow $39 and it's attached with zip ties? I wonder if they take the time to rub off the price tags from Home Depot on those parts too.

:lol:

That is actually the ATO that I have. However, I'm trying to figure out a way to put the redundant float switches on a tank, not a sump........I'm not thinking I'm going to be able to.

I got the double model. I could have went to HD and got wood to make a stand and hood, I did not? It all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend and TIME.

:lol:

That is actually the ATO that I have. However, I'm trying to figure out a way to put the redundant float switches on a tank, not a sump........I'm not thinking I'm going to be able to.

Can you describe a little more on what or how you would like to do this? Is it a mount issue only, placment, etc? Would the pics from the Autotopoff site for their tank mounted ATO help?

Edited by rioreef